• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Point of no return?

aukonak

I'm facing a lil' dilemma right now and could use some information, if y'all don't mind.

I was pro-recced in the September boards. As far as I can tell, I'm only obligated once I receive my FS and swear-in, correct? There's nothing binding before then?

Thanks in advance.

bwh06b

FS SNA
It's my understanding, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, that you are not obligated at this point. I don't even think someone is really obligated while at OCS, seeing as some have the option to DOR during their stay in Newport. I have sort of understood that your obligation comes into play after you have been commissioned.

aukonak

You having second thoughts?

Not exactly, I know I want to serve and I know I want to fly. I recently found out that I have a shot at USMC Air in January, and I'm choosing between the two. I don't want to make a decision until I know my chances/the outlook better though.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
Remember with marines you are a MARINE (sorry phrog) first. If that's more enticing to you than being a naval officer and pilot then go for it. I had a really hard time deciding between the two, but in the end I went with navy (making me third generation navy). Marines have got a lot of great stuff to fly, pay is the same, but the general mindset and way of thinking is different in the corps. You'll have to decide which is better for you and yours.

As far as I understand it, you are under no obligation until the completion of OCS. Your OR will know for sure. Best of luck to you.

aukonak

Uhhh, no.

If you said "With the Army, you are a soldier first" or "With the Marines, you are a Marine first" then you would have been correct. We are NOT soldiers.

Haha, you beat me to it. Good points all around, that's actually the reason I've been leaning towards he USMC. Still, I know I would love a career in either.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Lol. Well, my apologies. More or less just further indication that I made the correct choice with Navy.

I would hope that as a Naval Officer you understand the Army are Soldiers and that Marines are Marines. Even the Air Force and Coast Guard know that calling a Marine a Soldier isn't right... How hard did you REALLY look into trying to become a Marine? ;)

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
Geez so much hate. I forgive the hostility, swanee. I see you're also in Milton and it's enough to make us all go mad. And I'm not an officer yet. I leave in 4 days for OCS. Allow me my lapses in intelligence for a little bit longer.

SpaceApe29

We are NOT soldiers.

No, you guys most certainly are not. At least Marines have some common sense. Your combat uniform doesn't look like a Velcro garbage-flage clown suit and you don't steal headgear from your elite units (The Black Beret was once a sign of the Rangers, now it's the sign of "I'm not Airborne"). My God, I can't wait to cross into the blue.

A bird in the hand...

+1

You're pro-rec'd with the navy. All you need to do is go through MEPS and get your FS letter and you're golden. Why toss that aside for something that "might" happen? You said you had a shot, not that you were guaranteed to get it. Just sounds like a few too many ifs (as in, there are ifs), to throw away a commission with the navy.