• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

POCR Board Advice

Nevermor70

I'm a recent Advanced Rotary attrite and I'll be going up to the March POCR board. I'm looking for some general advice on how to make my package as competitive as possible for AMDO as it is my first choice, as well as leaving the door open for other designators. I feel that AMDO would be the best fit with respect to my prior experience (prior AM2) and current interest to stay in the Aviation community, however I wish to remain in the Navy no matter what designator if that is not possible.

I have been in contact with the AMO school at Whiting Field as well as working to secure interviews and LORs from current senior AMDOs at NASWF and NASP. If anyone has been in a similar situation in the past or has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

Spoiled1

I am currently in the process of applying for OCS and AMDO is a community that I am really interested in because I would like to stay in the Aviation community. I am currently an AC2 but I have researched a lot in AIMD onboard my ship. Any words of advice would be helpful.

Aaron Starks

I too am interested in applying for OCS and AMDO. I am prior enlisted (AE2) and have been working in the Air Force equivalent career field as a contractor since my discharge. I've been pursuing my Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering. My one downfall may be my 2.8 university GPA due to my prior major. Like Nevermore, I too would like to gain any information to ensure my competitiveness. All advice and instruction is greatly appreciated.

toofkir

I too am interested in applying for OCS and AMDO. I am prior enlisted (AE2) and have been working in the Air Force equivalent career field as a contractor since my discharge. I've been pursuing my Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering. My one downfall may be my 2.8 university GPA due to my prior major. Like Nevermore, I too would like to gain any information to ensure my competitiveness. All advice and instruction is greatly appreciated.

I second this....

I'm coming from the USAF though, so my situation is different. Any advice on what the boards look are specifically looking for other than prior acft maint experience. Any advice would help a bunch.

@Aaron Starks what is the civilian job you're doing that is equivalent to AMDO if you don't mind me asking?

Aaron Starks

I second this....

I'm coming from the USAF though, so my situation is different. Any advice on what the boards look are specifically looking for other than prior acft maint experience. Any advice would help a bunch.

@Aaron Starks what is the civilian job you're doing that is equivalent to AMDO if you don't mind me asking?
I'm sorry if that came across incorrectly. My current civilian job is equivalent to my navy rating (AE). I am a contractor for PAE (Formerly CSC) at Nellis AFB Backshop Maintenance.

Also, what does POCR board stand for?

Probationary Officer Continuation and Redesignation (POCR) Board.

exNavyOffRec

I'm sorry if that came across incorrectly. My current civilian job is equivalent to my navy rating (AE). I am a contractor for PAE (Formerly CSC) at Nellis AFB Backshop Maintenance.

Probationary Officer Continuation and Redesignation (POCR) Board.

you probably should search around and find the thread for those applying for AMDO via OCS vice a thread where a person is looking to redesignate

D

Deleted member 31917

Sorry if this was asked, but I couldn’t find anything about it. What are the chances of getting picked up (let’s say SWO) at a POCR Board as an O-3, who failed out of Nuclear Prototype? I’d imagine being in that long and not having accomplished much (Navy wise), chances of getting picked up for anything aren’t very high. I’m on security hold, which is why if do Prototype as an O3, and Prototype has me worried when I eventually get to that point. I want to stay in the Navy in the off chance I fail out. Anyway, thanks for any input.

exNavyOffRec

Sorry if this was asked, but I couldn’t find anything about it. What are the chances of getting picked up (let’s say SWO) at a POCR Board as an O-3, who failed out of Nuclear Prototype? I’d imagine being in that long and not having accomplished much (Navy wise), chances of getting picked up for anything aren’t very high. I’m on security hold, which is why if do Prototype as an O3, and Prototype has me worried when I eventually get to that point. I want to stay in the Navy in the off chance I fail out. Anyway, thanks for any input.

If you were able to earn a Civil Eng degree then you can make it through prototype.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Worry about getting through prototype first.

D

Deleted member 31917

If you were able to earn a Civil Eng degree then you can make it through prototype.

I really do hope so. And then I hear like 6 of my OCS classmates fail out, all who had engineering degrees. It does make me wonder if they didn’t try too hard (possibly fail on purpose) because they wouldn’t have minded switching to a different community. And I really should just worry about what’s right in front of me. But I’m a guy who tends to worry and overthink sometimes.

exNavyOffRec

I really do hope so. And then I hear like 6 of my OCS classmates fail out, all who had engineering degrees. It does make me wonder if they didn’t try too hard (possibly fail on purpose) because they wouldn’t have minded switching to a different community. And I really should just worry about what’s right in front of me. But I’m a guy who tends to worry and overthink sometimes.

listen to the instructors, they aren't there to sink you, there are there to make sure you can operate the plant safe and listen to the other watchstanders.

SharkBait

The ATO on my old ship failed out of NUPOC program, since you already SWO qualified at this point they just send you back to the fleet as a straight SWO from what I have seen.