• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

please share your PRK experiences.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevew

I recently had PRK in one eye and I'm going back to have my other eye done. How long should it take before I'm seeing well, and I do have a bit of glare/helos at night, which have gotten better but are still there. Will they eventually go away or am I stuck with this for life.
Also, what are the guidlines for the post-op procedures that are mandated by the navy? I don't want to disqualify myself just because my post ops were not done correctly. My prescription was worse than -5.50 so I'll have to wait 6 months. Does this mean that I have to wait 6 months before I can submit my app or can I submit my app beforehand and assuming I get a prorec make sure that my 6 months are up before my physical?
I've been out of the loop lately, but the last I've heard was that spots have been pretty tight. Is it still that way or have things opened up a little bit?

Thanks for your opinions and your help.

mimisoko9

Just had both my eyes done on Wednesday. I'm told to wait about a month before things really stabilize and also that the halos, etc. will go away in a few months time. I have an acquaintance who had is eyes done in August and is seeing 20/15 in both eyes consistently with no complaints.

My preexisting condition was also bad enough that I have to wait six months. The feedback I got from my recruiter as well as from other forum members is that you cannot/should not submit your application package until you are physically qualified, which won't happen until you get your six month waiver. It made sense to me that you ought to be able to go ahead with the application process while waiting for the six months to wind down, but that's not how I've found it works.

Competition for slots is still fierce if you ask the recruiters and an uncertain budget doesn't help. However, that same acquaintance who had his eyes done sent his app in November and was pre-selected for SNA several weeks ago. Other than a strong undergrad GPA, didn't sound like he had anything too remarkable on his resume. So, you never know...

Hope that helps.

stevew

Thank you, you have been quite helpful
icon_smile.gif

Molly06

I can't help on Navy guidelines but I can answer some of your questions about PRK postop. I work for a group of Ophthalmologists and deal with PRK and Lasik patients every day. The glare and halos are to be expected after surgery especially since you said your preop RX was greater than -5.50. These symptoms can persist for months after the surgery. Other things that can affect glare and halos are pupil size and dryness. If you have large pupils then glare will be more bothersome for you. Dryness plays a large part also. Be sure you are using artifical tears several times a day. At least 4 times daily! This is real important! Good luck to you.

Molly Scott

paullatina

I had PRK on Jan 8th. I was 20/40 pre-op and I had my final exam yesterday in which I was 20/15 in both eyes. I dont have halos or anything. Just make sure you follow the eyedrop schedule like a religion!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had my eyes done about a year and a quarter ago, right after they approved the surgery. Don't worry about the halos too much right now; things should stabilize with time. It took mine almost a year to go away completely but no problems now. My surgeon told me 12 months is when things are completely back to normal from a medical sense.
Things will be a little wacky for the first month or so as I'm sure you're well aware now. Shortly after my first eye I took a trip to NYC with my folks. Down by ground Zero I closed my bad eye, looked across battery park across the harbor and saw TWO Statues of Liberty! Goodbye, career, I thought at the time but luckily it went away (while sober at least, maybe if you keep drinking the halos will go away.
icon_smile_wink.gif
) Good luck with the other eye, and trust me, you'll love it when things settle down. I don't miss my glasses one bit and I'm 20/15+ now.
bouncy_125.gif

stevew

anyone have any input on the post op procedures mandated by the navy guidelines? I don't want to be disqualified for sneezing on the wrong day after PRK because it didn't adhere to the navy post-op guidelines. (I'm exagerating, but you understand my point)!!

Much thanks to all those who have responded with words of encouragement.

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
If you haven't already, check out this site: http://navymedicine.med.navy.mil/PRK/refractive_surgery_information.htm

Here's my question: Lets say I go the NROTC or Academy route to my commission. I'll need PRK to get an SNA slot, so would junior year of college be best for getting the surgery, so I can be competitive for the pilot slot? Go ahead and read my profile. Let me know, thanks!

The Three D's of Aviation: Never do anything Dumb, Dangerous, or Different!

wanaBpilot

Pro Rec'd NFO
What is the min. vision requirement for the sna slot? For marines, you get aviator with 20/40. I noticed somebody had PRK and had 20/40 previously, wondering why? Let me know what those requirements are. Thanks

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
How old is everyone that have had the PRK surgery?

- Quote on being selected for an OCS spot -
"If you are chosen, you will have been chosen by Men 'who have been there and done that' and have decided that they wished to have you in Their company, there is no such medal worth as much."

mimisoko9

I was (and still am) 25 at the time of surgery.

Had my three-month check up yesterday and am now seeing 20/25 and 20/30 . The doctor says it's only going to get better because he intentionally over-corrected . I need to have the six-month check up too.

stevew

I was 23 when I had it done.

The potential issue is that with younger candidates vision can still be changing so that wouldn't qualify for any corrective surgery since it will get worse in the future anyway. However, when they take your measurements they can tell if your vision is still changing or not.

Goofytallguy

Is anyone clear on the minimum age requirement? I'm 18, going to boot camp this july. My vision has stabilized over the last couple years, changing significantly less. I seem to recall reading that regardless of what they find during an evaluation you can't get the surgery until 21, is that the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.