• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Please Help, I just Failed the ASTB Exam Yesterday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hung

Somebody please help me on how to effectively study for the ASTB Test. I spend almost 6-8 hours a day for the last two weeks to study for the exam, and i scored only 35 on the Test. I feel really really bad and so embarrassed about my scored after all the effort i put on it. Now i don't know what to do to get a score of 48 or above on the exam. Please help me if you know some good techniques or tips on how to be super fast and mastered the math and reading Comprehension Sections. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

exNavyOffRec

It is an apptitude test, so studying will only help so much.

You did not fail, you are qualified to submit with a 35, I have had people picked up with scores in low 40's, why did you pick 48 as the minimum? While the board will look at your ASTB they will look much harder at your GPA and degree.

Renegade One

None
Somebody please help me ...
It is an apptitude test, so studying will only help so much.
As usual NavyOffRec said it best, and in a very gentlemanly fashion…and he's absolutely correct. The test measures "aptitude"…which is the sum of whatever you've paid attention to and crammed into your brain pan since 1st Grade..and that hazy grey area called "aptitude". Not much by way of "going back" or "do overs". But it's only one criteria among many others.

Too many good threads on this forum about ASTB "study helps" for me to reiterate. The search function is your friend.

Best of luck.

KNSnowy

Hey!

Besides all the study guides Renegade One mentions, I'd say your first step is CALM DOWN. I don't know how your grades were in school, but everybody can panic and not test well. I think you need to be good to yourself and take a good bit longer than the 31-day limit before retaking the test.

Cramming is very hit or miss and 8 hours a day is kind of ridiculous. That + your stress = you having delirious dreams for 2 weeks and go into the test not being able to point out a picture of a cat.

As a lot of people have said, time is the hardest part of the test. You should do the practice tests and time yourself so you learn the pace you need to keep. If time is an issue for you, have a strategy in mind once you're taking the test for real. Guess and skip questions you don't know or that are very long to go back to later.

Instead of looking around for tricks (like how to do math fast), make sure you understand the material thoroughly and conceptually first. For example, I've never taken a physics class, but I found Khan Academy's online course and went through it to learn the concepts in-depth: http://www.khanacademy.org . You'll find a lot of math material here too.

Are you an audial learner? Do you like to listen to stuff? Because I'm a completely shameless geek, I listen to tons of podcasts, including this dude: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/math-dude . Look him up on iTunes if you want to, and he'll do 8 minute bits of math "tricks" and how-tos out loud. It's elementary to challenging and forces you to do a lot of math in your head - great while exercising!

What specifically were your problems when you took the test? It sounds like you were overwhelmed but what happened? Were the questions harder than expected, did you forget everything, did you run out of time? Etc. Figure out exactly what happened and work on fixing that. The study guides are actually harder than the test itself, I think, so make sure you know the key information rather than trying to memorize the gravity force of a 200 pound man on Mars (or whatever).

Study in a condition similar to the test site, like a library. Study where you're a little distracted too (I was interrupted a few times during my test). Doing things like chewing the same gum or popping the same mint can help you get "in the zone" - find what works for you.

Study 2-3 hours a day and in a month or two, or longer, call to schedule a retake.

As Officers, it'll be our responsibility to know our gouge even when under a lot of stress - so don't just cram to immediately forget it.

I hope some of that helps! Good luck!

Libby Ann

I was told from a variety of navy recruiters that the "minimum" to qualify for officer in general would be a 35…so that in a sense gives us an idea that this test is a "pass or fail"…..I guess he is feeling this way because of the weight of how his recruiter is perhaps telling him what are the chances of being accepted or not….

But my question is, what if you scored say 33-38, would you still be accepted? or there IS a "minimum" to reach to be accepted?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The minimum OAR is set in what is called the Program Authorization (PA). It comes out of Navy Recruiting Command (CNRC) regulations. There is also what is known as a competitive score and that may come in a semi official form from the program managers back at Navy Recruiting Command or simply the recruiter's own experience. The competive score is always higher than the minimum and it floats based on the number and the quality of applications and number of openings the Navy has to fill. Between the minimum set by PA and the stated competitive score your chances of being accepted are lower than average. If you find yourself in that range you absolutely may be accepted but as NavyOff Rec said, it will come down to everything else you bring to the table. If you have a challenging major and a really decent GPA it may offset the low ASTB. Only way to know for sure is to submit. But do listen carefully to your recruiter about what he is hearing from CNRC and what his recent selects look like.

exNavyOffRec

I was told from a variety of navy recruiters that the "minimum" to qualify for officer in general would be a 35…so that in a sense gives us an idea that this test is a "pass or fail"…..I guess he is feeling this way because of the weight of how his recruiter is perhaps telling him what are the chances of being accepted or not….

But my question is, what if you scored say 33-38, would you still be accepted? or there IS a "minimum" to reach to be accepted?

since my original post the minimum OAR has changed for a few PA's.

Whitefoot

None
The minimum OAR is set in what is called the Program Authorization (PA). It comes out of Navy Recruiting Command (CNRC) regulations. There is also what is known as a competitive score and that may come in a semi official form from the program managers back at Navy Recruiting Command or simply the recruiter's own experience. The competive score is always higher than the minimum and it floats based on the number and the quality of applications and number of openings the Navy has to fill. Between the minimum set by PA and the stated competitive score your chances of being accepted are lower than average. If you find yourself in that range you absolutely may be accepted but as NavyOff Rec said, it will come down to everything else you bring to the table. If you have a challenging major and a really decent GPA it may offset the low ASTB. Only way to know for sure is to submit. But do listen carefully to your recruiter about what he is hearing from CNRC and what his recent selects look like.
http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/Program-Authorizations.htm <----- This is your best resource in regards to the PAs. Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.