• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Please help a newb understand his ASTB scores...

The Warden

This is my first post and I must congratulate you all on having such a fine resource for people like myself. I graduated from UF in 05' and have currently been working for FCCJ's (a local community college) aviation center. My job is alright, but it doesn't have a stable future or benifits. If I were smarter I would have gotten into ROTC, but I was convinced I was going to be a lawyer--which didn't pan out.

I just took my ASTB last week and got back my scores:

52, 5/5/4

I guess that's not bad for an English major with a few weeks of studying. Of course I would love to fly, but with my scores and degree I dont see that being realistic. I think NFO is a much more realistic option, but at this point I would be happy to take a comission as a SWO or atleast Intell. This was my first test and I'm already scheduled to take it again. My question to you all is, are the above scores even competive for SWO? I've seen people with straight 5's that didn't cut a 52. Why is my score higher then theirs? I had a 3.3 GPA, and will have 2 letters of recommendation from Chiefs, one from a Captain, and one from a Senator. My mother also is a retired navy recruiter with 18 years, and my father is a retired Chief with 22. My mother currently works at the OPO office and was able to get me on the test list. I haven't even seen a recruiter yet! I think my package is attractive, but is it good enough for SWO or NFO?

Thanks in advance!

The Warden

thanks for the help, although I knew where my score fell in the bell shaped curve. Is there any way for me to find out which parts of the test I did poorly in to determine which subjects I should study most? What score should I be trying for, straight 6's or maybe a mix of 6 and 7's.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
I think NFO is a much more realistic option, but at this point I would be happy to take a comission as a SWO or atleast Intell. This was my first test and I'm already scheduled to take it again.
If I remember correctly, Intel has a lower OCS selection rate than SWO.

steeleshark2

None
thanks for the help, although I knew where my score fell in the bell shaped curve. Is there any way for me to find out which parts of the test I did poorly in to determine which subjects I should study most? What score should I be trying for, straight 6's or maybe a mix of 6 and 7's.

I got 6 and 7s on mine. I do not know a way to tell what you did good or bad but all you need to do is work harder on Math and English. They are the two main things in the test other then aviation knowledge. I believe, if you work with a ASTB study guide, you will have no problem getting the scores you want. Good Luck, and hope this answers the question.

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
From what I was told, your PFAR score is primarily spatial apperception and aviation/nautical knowledge, while AQR and FOFAR are primarily math and mechanical comprehension. All parts go into calculating each score, so you might do well by brushing up on all of the sections.

Good luck!
Red