• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PLC vs NROTC

O'Pry

What are everyone's feelings here on the best way to go concerning PLC or NROTC marine option? I am a freshman in college and am torn between the two. I will either join ROTC second semester, or take my PFT and go PLC, but I don't know which would be best. My ROTC friends all are pushing me in the direction, obviously, so I thought I would ask some impartial people, perhaps some that have been in the position before. I know the differences in training and such, ROTC having the 1 seniors course and PLC have the jr's and seniors, but any advice out there?

Respectfully,

K. O'Pry

los5041

Ko Pry,
The decsion weather to go PLC or ROTC has positives and negatives for both. First thing to think about is your financial situation, If your struggling to pay for school and are not getting enough finacial aid from your school, then you might want to look into ROTC since they pay for your tuition (As long as your package is exepted). Now if your not hurting financially and don't want to look like a weenie walking around campus in a uniform then look into PLC. While your in college you don't have any commitments with PLC and you don't have any sort of classes unlike ROTC. I went through the PLC route myself, on Thursday nights when I was out with my buddies I could stay out until the sun came up unlike my ROTC buddies who had to be at PT at 0530. But what it comes down to is how much time do you really want to put into the military during college. If you want alot of it go ROTC if you only want to spend 12 weeks of it go PLC.

ROTC positives:
Tuition is paid for.
Learn more about the military lifestyle.
Only have to go to OCS for 6 weeks.

ROTC negatives:
Have class every week.
Have early a$$ Pt.
Look like a dork wearing a Navy uniform on a college campus

PLC positives:
No commitment during school year and if you do they are minimul.
Stay out late with your buddies partying and not have to worry about early a$$ PT.
Get some financial assistance (although not nearly as much as ROTC)
Time in regarding your pay when you commision is based on when you joined the PLC program (hence if you join your freshman year of college and you graduate on time, you will get paid as a 2nd Lt. with 3 years in service which right now is like $500 more a month)

PLC negatives:
Pay for school yourself (for the most part).
Have to go to OCS twice

Good luck with your choice and either way you choose you will be an Officer of Marines when you graduate.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Well said. It seems like when our Marine Options drop out before their junior year, they go over to the PLC side of the house because there are a lot fewer committments vs. NROTC. Some hard chargers do both at the same time. I had a roommate that did PLC juniors, came back for sophomore year in NROTC, then made the full switch over to PLC. Both are good deals.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
ROTC positives:
Tuition is paid for.
Learn more about the military lifestyle.
Only have to go to OCS for 6 weeks.

OCS?? You have summer training every summer if you are under scholarship, but no OCS type stuff.

Cortramid (sp?) after freshman year
-4 weeks (one week in every warfare- aviation, sub, surface, marine)

2nd class cruise after sophomore year
-4 weeks shadowing a enlisted (you pick which warfare community)

1st class cruise after junior year
-4 weeks shadowing a junior officer (same with other, you pick which warfare community)

EDIT!!, sorry im stupid, i didnt realize it was marine option, oops my bad, the info above is for navy option

KBayDog

The Naval Science courses you will be required to take in NROTC will help you get a good understanding about how things in the Navy and Marine Corps work. Additionally, most schools have a "Pre-Bulldog" program for NROTC and MECEP candidates to prep them academically and physically for OCS.

Based on AW posts and talking to Marines commissioned through PLC, it seems that PLC candidates wait a much longer time to start TBS than do NROTC.

Both are excellent programs, and both will get you to the same place (Camp Barrett). Do your homework and figure out which is best for you, but keep in mind that so much in the military revolves around setting yourself up for future success.

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
Ko Pry,

ROTC negatives:
Look like a dork wearing a Navy uniform on a college campus

First of all, You get over the whole uniform thing after about 2 days of wearing it around campus. Your not joining the navy/marines to look cool, if you are well your going to be in for a rude awkening. Second of all you should be proud to wear the uniform, a lot of people have died wearing that same uniform.

macattack

First of all, You get over the whole uniform thing after about 2 days of wearing it around campus. Your not joining the navy/marines to look cool, if you are well your going to be in for a rude awkening. Second of all you should be proud to wear the uniform, a lot of people have died wearing that same uniform.

You know, as someone who isn't in ROTC, even I can agree with that. When debating over whether or not to join ROTC (I decided not to and am probably not going to during my college career), I kind of found the uniform thing kind of awkward (though it wasn't a huge issue with me, obviously). But after seeing a number of ROTCers around campus, you kind of take a different approach-to think, in 2 years that guy there is going to be leading an infantry platoon into whatever craphole the military goes to next, or that guy there is going to be in on an opening night airstrike over whatever enemy capital. I know not everyone has the same attitude, but I'd think that people would view you a lot differently (in a positive way, mostly, unless you go to Berkeley or something :eek: ). So really I've come to realize it's more of a plus than a "looking dorky" kind of thing.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I would like for all of you to know that i wear my uniform with the most pride possible and dont care if i look 'dorky' or not. As said before, people have died wearing 'that uniform' (in a way) and i respect that everytime i wear it and act accordingly.

Sundown

Eight-year-olds, Dude...
KO'Pry,

I also had the option of choosing NROTC or PLC and found that PLC was a better fit for me. Helping my decisions: PT on my time schedule, no extra college courses, no formations on campus in the middle of the afternoon, no uniforms, etc. Basically, if you don't need money immediately and you have good self-discipline then choose PLC. If you need structured PT or practice then you can always get together with your local NROTC or Semper Fi Society and work out with them. I have one other dude who has already finished juniors that I'm setting up PT with once a week to help me prepare. You can always ask your OSO to give you info on other people that are PLCers in Chi-town to help you out if you need it.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
You know, as someone who isn't in ROTC, even I can agree with that. When debating over whether or not to join ROTC (I decided not to and am probably not going to during my college career), I kind of found the uniform thing kind of awkward (though it wasn't a huge issue with me, obviously). But after seeing a number of ROTCers around campus, you kind of take a different approach-to think, in 2 years that guy there is going to be leading an infantry platoon into whatever craphole the military goes to next, or that guy there is going to be in on an opening night airstrike over whatever enemy capital. I know not everyone has the same attitude, but I'd think that people would view you a lot differently (in a positive way, mostly, unless you go to Berkeley or something :eek: ). So really I've come to realize it's more of a plus than a "looking dorky" kind of thing.

Well, I went to Berkeley, and never had a problem with my uniform or anything Marine-related. If thats even an issue, maybe ROTC shouldn't be an option. I actually went back in my blues last time I was home, and received only positive comments. If only our football team could get its sh*t together...sigh...

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
There were some PLCers at my old ROTC unit that talked to the MOI and were able to take all of the classes that were geared to the MOs (amphibious warfare etc.) as well as go to MOPT and field exercises. There were also PLCers at my school that did nothing with the unit.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
One thing that you do get from all the PLC'ers here at TBS is that going back a second time SUCKED. You've got to go through in-processing again, deal with pick-up, AGAIN, and get hazed for 6 more weeks. Apparently, they tame the first summer up a bit in order to get guys to return (i.e., you get a helo flight, not-so-strenuos PT, and less abuse until second time through). An OSO could probably shed a bit more light on the subject, and possibly persuade you one way or another. Either way, the end state is well worth it. Good luck...

Crowbar

None
Everybody's brought up some really good points. Just remember that if you go through NROTC you will already be put in your peer group when you start. Meaning you'll see the same people (generally) at OCS, TBS, MOS/flight school at the same time you're there. That can work for or against you.

Like others have said, we had PLCers come do NROTC training with us--PT, field training, etc. They got a little of both PLC and NROTC. But with us, we made it clear to the PLC students that it was all or nothing. Meaning you either show up to everything (barring legitimate excuses) or just stay your ass away from us. The ones who took us up on it were afforded the opportunity to hold the billets similar to what they would be doing at OCS.

Also, if you can't go out and enjoy yourself at night then still go PT in the morning, I hear Initech and Penetrode are hiring...

macattack

One thing that you do get from all the PLC'ers here at TBS is that going back a second time SUCKED. You've got to go through in-processing again, deal with pick-up, AGAIN, and get hazed for 6 more weeks. Apparently, they tame the first summer up a bit in order to get guys to return (i.e., you get a helo flight, not-so-strenuos PT, and less abuse until second time through). An OSO could probably shed a bit more light on the subject, and possibly persuade you one way or another. Either way, the end state is well worth it. Good luck...

Well you could always do the 10-week option after junior year...