• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PLC program

flygirlA47474

applicant PLC air-jrs 2006
hey...

I have just started the application process to become a Marine Flight Officer and Idon't know a whole lot about it. I have had some help with it from someone who just came back from their first six weeks at OCS but I really want to know all I can about it. I am training for my PFT and I know I will at least get a 270 but is that good enough to beat out the other girls? Does it make a difference that i am a woman wanting a flight contract? I also just started college and will be a PLC junior. I am an aerospace engineering major and I get good grades. I have started studying for the ASTB but I have not flown before, is that going to hurt me? I want to go to Embry-Riddle and I
just got accepted last week, would it be a good idea to get a degree there? I am also trying to accumulate enough money to get my pilots lisence as soon as I possibly can. Actually I only have to take my PFT and the ASTB and I am done with the application. My process went quickly.

Is it a plus that I am a freshmen in college? Who all am i going to be up against? What kind of chances do I have to get a flight contract and go to flight school in florida? What kind of score do I need to get on the ASTB? So... right after I graduate college I can and will hopefully get a commission to be a Marine Officer and I go to TBS for around seven months??

I want to be fully informed of everything from the first six weeks of OCS to going to flight school and being assigned an aircraft. I want to be able to not just get in but to get in with flying colors.
your input would be grealty appreciated.....

suicidechuck

Good on ya for having some direction, but realize that there is a long road ahead. Some questions you need to ask yourself though. Do you want to be a Marine? An Officer? a Pilot? If you want to be all three, in that order, then continue with your journey to being a Marine. If not, you may want to consider the other services. I didn't go to Embry Riddle, but my classmates who did, performed pretty well during primary and are succeeding at Advanced. Flight time will always help with an application, but everything else needs to be solid as well, grades, PFT, recommendations. If you want to know about OCS, then check out the http://www.marinetimes.com/class186 The information there is pretty accurate. TBS is a 24 week school that teaches you the The Basics of being a provisional Rifle Platoon Commander. From there you will push to flight school. There's a start, take the ball and run

michaels601

Simba Barracuda.
if you're definitely going to riddle, get in contact with the Semper Fi Society there. i don't go to Riddle, but i PTd with them a handful of times last semester and know a couple kids up there. hit the riddle website, student organizations, there's contact info somewhere. they can help out with exactly the stuff you're asking for.

overall, though, sounds like you're facing into the wind, just gotta be sure you're ready to take off now.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Ok, I was hoping someone would hope on here and give you a good solid complete rundown but I guess you will have to settle for me...so here it goes.

270 for a PFT is pretty decent for a guy so it should help. The Marine Corps still needs pilots and NFOs so having a flight contract will be another benny in your corner. Most of the guys in the flight pipeline with me right now have not flown other than what they did with the Marine Corps (IFS). As far as where you get a degree at, it really doesn't matter much / at all. Don't worry about your pilots license unless you just want to get it, the military will give you all the training you need to fly for them. Being a freshman in college doesn't matter too much just dictates which type of PLC program you go under. Chances of getting an air contract sound like you have a good shot, and all Naval Flight schools start in Pensacola so don't worry about that, if you make it that far you will see the beaches.

Timeline:
==> OCS - first 6 week increment (probably next summer if your package is in already), largely just a first screening, not too many drops as they are just getting a feel for your abilities
==> OCS - second 6 week increment (summer before you graduate from college), lots of people just decide never to come back, those that do more are attrited for poor leadership etc.
==> TBS - starting sometime after you graduate college and get commissioned, current wait time appears to be about 4 months from commission to pickup. 6 months of primarily infantry based training and some general officer type skills. Still possible to get kicked out at this point but more rare.
==> IFS - Introductory Flight Screening, 2 months of initial training either done before or after TBS, either at Quantico or Pensacola, basically just a way to screen out those who don't want to be there.
==> API - 6 weeks consisting of initial and basic flight related academics and all of your water survival stuff, NO FLYING
==> Primary - approx 6 months of flying...
==> Intermediate - start to get into your pipeline (jets / helos / prop)
==> Advanced - pipeline specific
==> RAG - more aircraft specific training
==> Sent to the Fleet

If that doesn't answer most of your questions feel free to either respond here or PM me...

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I'll try and help here. First of all, I echo what what Jamnww said. Don't waste your money on a ppl unless you really want to, the Marine Corps will pick up that tab in the future and you won't need it to get yourself an air contract. Study for your ASTB using the gouge on this site. It will give you a leg up on that thing and hopefully you'll have to only take once. After you turn in your PFT and ASTB scores and you hear back from the board, you could secure your air contract. Then you don't need to worry about flying until your'e commissioned. As far as your school goes, go where you are happy. Congrats on ERAU, but realize you don't need to have a degree from an Aeronautical school to get a flight contract. I got an NFO slot while at a community college studying history having never flown before.

You have a distinct advantage by being a freshman: you have plenty of time to reapply if need be. If this is your first military experience, juniors will be a shock. Those videos Suicidechuck posted do a pretty good job giving you an idea of what you face down there. This is not meant to be sexist and please don't take it that way, but females have a hard time physically at OCS. A womans lower body just isn't made to take the kind of pounding it will recieve on the trails in Quantico. There's a very significant attrition rate for females just becuase of injuries. Those females Segeant Instructors don't pull any punches either. It's rough. If you head down there in shape, you'll put yourself right where you need to be to succeed. Go to the OCS website and peruse those pictures. Also check out the thread "Shipping to OCS" (it'll pop right up if you use the search function), not just because it's my thread, but it seems to have helped alot of candidates get an idea about what to expect for OCS. When I wrote my posts I hadn't been to seniors yet so it's from a juniors perspective.
Post more if you have any other questions. Good Luck and Semper Fi, Doc

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
DocT said:
This is not meant to be sexist and please don't take it that way, but females have a hard time physically at OCS. A womans lower body just isn't made to take the kind of pounding it will recieve on the trails in Quantico. There's a very significant attrition rate for females just becuase of injuries. Those females Segeant Instructors don't pull any punches either. It's rough. If you head down there in shape, you'll put yourself right where you need to be to succeed.

Great point Doc, my OCS class started with a platoon of about 55 females and graduated with 22. Thats over 50% attrition. Get in the best shape you can and never let up, always push for better and you will be fine just stay safe.