• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PLC or OCC?

thatgnarlyguy

I am active duty guard so I cannot apply for PLC until the end of this school year. I could either try for this summer's OCS or go to school over summer and graduate in the fall of 2006. Should I apply for this years OCS or wait until I graduate and apply for OCC? Are there any advantages to either program? Can you still be Air contract for OCC?
Another important aspect is that the state pays for my tuition and I recieve the GI Bill while in the guard.

Marine4life

I would recommend PLC because in this program you compete for your slot regionally, whereas OCC candidates compete nationally.

Well the differences Important to you are,

OCC is typically a lot more competitive to get into than PLC. But the advantage to OCC is you're immediately active duty and straight into TBS. So if you combine the fact you're graduating a semester early with that you do not have to wait 5-7 months for TBS, id personally rather do OCC.

2 scenarios:
grad in fall 06 -> january occ ->april 07 tbs
or grad in spring 07-> commission, wait until oct/nov 07 for tbs

..that could get you to flight school or out of tbs as much as 6 months earlier.. that seems worth it to me.

Hope that wasn't confusing

s/f

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Talk to an OSO, he'll lock you on with the most recent numbers and what path is best for you. There's advantages to both programs.

usmcecho4

pilot
PLC will get you an earlier pay entry base date (PEBD). This can translate into a pay difference of hundreds of dollars a month.

O-1 pay per month:
less than 2 years active service: $2343.60

over 2 years active service: $2439.00

over 3 years actice service: $2948.10

Your PEBD will follow you your entire career so you will always make more money by going PLC than your non-prior OCC colleagues.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
usmcecho4 said:
PLC will get you an earlier pay entry base date (PEBD). This can translate into a pay difference of hundreds of dollars a month.

O-1 pay per month:
less than 2 years active service: $2343.60

over 2 years active service: $2439.00

over 3 years actice service: $2948.10

Your PEBD will follow you your entire career so you will always make more money by going PLC than your non-prior OCC colleagues.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

You're right on with this one, however, if you take the tuition money and monthly stipend, your PEBD will be your commissioning date. I found that out the hard way.

That is the beauty part of PLC, though. You can be a 2ndLt at TBS and have 3-4 years of time in service. That would've been nice.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
PSno23 said:
You're right on with this one, however, if you take the tuition money and monthly stipend, your PEBD will be your commissioning date.

I thought your PEBD changes to your commisioning date only if you accept the MCTAP (Marine Corps Tuition Assistance Program). You should be safe if you take the FAP.

Raptor2216

DocT said:
I thought your PEBD changes to your commisioning date only if you accept the MCTAP (Marine Corps Tuition Assistance Program). You should be safe if you take the FAP.

That is correct. If you only take FAP then it doesn't take away from your time but MCTAP will cost you. I have about three years into the PLC programs at this point and i'm getting commissioned here in a week so I can't wait to start collecting.

thatgnarlyguy

Good gouge... I have been enlisted since 2001 will that be my PEBD?
SoICanBeFree, loud and clear, I think that OCC is for me. Anyone know stats for recent OCC candidates?