• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PLC contract question

shabuki

i did a search but couldn't really find anything that fits this question.. I want to go to PLC this summer and plan to start the application process very soon. However, I would need to get PRK surgery to be able to do the aviation option. Ideally I would want to be able to go this summer (probably 2nd increment), get the surgery next fall or winter, then finish up PLC the following summer. My OSO is suggesting that I go in as a ground option then later get the surgery and switch. This is basically what I want to do but I worry that it will be difficult for me to switch to the aviation option later. Do you think this seems like a good idea or are chances high that I would be unable to switch to aviation next year?

texags

pilot
I got PRK between juniors and seniors. Just remember, you will need 6 months heal time before the Marines will let you enter training. I would suggest just going for an air contract, because you can't even be sure the Marines will be accepting air contracts in a year. Take it while you have the chance.

shabuki

thanks for the info... just found out that my refraction is too high to get waivered even after PRK so i guess it doesn't matter

i think i still want to go in as an NFO though

81montedriver

pilot
Do not go ground if you want to go air. I have seen some people make the switch very easily, but only when the Marine Corps was in dire need of aviators. Right now, we have too many. It may take a little bit longer to get to PLC (you could always end up doing PLC combined or OCC), but when you finally get to flight school it will be worth it.

This is a very common thing done by recruiters, but the truth is they and nobody else can really give you serious odds on whether or not you will be able to change from air to ground once you accept your package.

shabuki

what's your refraction right now?

+5.5 and +6

Do not go ground if you want to go air. I have seen some people make the switch very easily, but only when the Marine Corps was in dire need of aviators. Right now, we have too many. It may take a little bit longer to get to PLC (you could always end up doing PLC combined or OCC), but when you finally get to flight school it will be worth it.

This is a very common thing done by recruiters, but the truth is they and nobody else can really give you serious odds on whether or not you will be able to change from air to ground once you accept your package.

I was worried about something like this. I'm gonna try and get on as NFO

DeathDealer117

My OSO just said that the Marines are hurting for Aviators. What makes you think that the Marines have too many? (serious question, im not giving you s*** haha)

texags

pilot
My OSO just said that the Marines are hurting for Aviators. What makes you think that the Marines have too many? (serious question, im not giving you s*** haha)

There is a 10 month wait for API. And my TBS company asked for volunteers to switch to ground.

DeathDealer117

There is a 10 month wait for API. And my TBS company asked for volunteers to switch to ground.

What does that mean?

For example, Im in the PLC program, I JUST took the ASTB yesterday and I also put in a request to switch from PLC Ground to PLC Air. Does that mean that in 10 months, Ill be at the "front" of the line, or 10 months after I commision?

Also what does API stand for? (Im a aviation nub!)

It means that right now there are so many aviation contracts that there is a 10 month wait to attend flight school after completion of TBS. API or Aviation Preflight Indoctrination is the first step for aviation contracts. So no the Marines are not hurting for pilots.

shabuki

6bt

The board that was originally scheduled for mid Nov got postponed until Dec and has further been postponed until Feb. If you really want to do this, you should start the application process no later than early January. It takes 3-4 weeks to get everything sorted out.