• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Platform specifics

KTBQ

Naval Radiator
pilot
Be careful when choosing P-3s for the supposed quality of life factor. Home cycle really doesn't exist in the traditional sense of the word anymore. Surge is the name of the game, and you will do it early and often (in addition to the 7 month deployment to the sandbox). Before deployments, after deployments, you'll find yourself out the door with minimal notice. More of a factor for pilots than navs. The good deal, per diem P-3 navy is unfortunately a thing of the past, with an exception or two here and there.

HalfBreed

None
Don't forget about Hawkeyes. E-2Cs are stationed in Norfolk (also where the FRS is), Point Mugu (Ventura County in CA), and Japan (only one squadron).

A lot of people like staying in Norfolk because they can afford to buy a house and also live there for their entire career. If you get Point Mugu, you get sunny California but pretty much just rent. Plus, there really aren't many options to stay in Point Mugu after your first fleet tour. I can't really speak to Japan since I haven't lived there.

As for Haweyes in general, its not a sexy pointy nosed plane and it does not go fast. For me this is a good thing, my body does not respond well to flying in loops and upside down. You still get to hang out with the pointy nose guys on a carrier and are involved in all of the mission planning they do. The community is NFO centered because there are more of us and for the most part, the pilots are pretty hands off with the mission.

ArkansasFlyBoy

None
Thanks Halfbreed. Right now I am stuck between p/n (e-6) and jets (e-2). im afraid if i put down p/n as my first choice, the e-6 wont be available and ill get the p-3, but i guess that is the way that it goes, needs of the navy....Hoorah.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Thanks Halfbreed. Right now I am stuck between p/n (e-6) and jets (e-2). im afraid if i put down p/n as my first choice, the e-6 wont be available and ill get the p-3, but i guess that is the way that it goes, needs of the navy....Hoorah.

E2=/=jets

ProwlerPilot

pilot
Go Jets. You joined the NAVY. The word itself implies ships and underway. Traps and Cats are some of the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!

ArkansasFlyBoy

None
Go Jets. You joined the NAVY. The word itself implies ships and underway. Traps and Cats are some of the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!

Yeah, its a hard decision, I really want jets, but at the same time I really want more time at home. I have almost 4 years of sea duty in my 10 years of NAVAL service. Traps and Cats do look fun....Thanks PP....

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
If you get E-6s you will still probably see underway time. Every senior TACAMO bubba I've known have done at least one carrier tour...sure ships company probably isn't as fun as taking catshots but just because your community is on an AFB in OK doesn't mean you're not in the Navy anymore.

ArkansasFlyBoy

None
Not going to the boat is not why I am leaning towards the E-6B. I actually really enjoy the boat and look forward to getting away from the mrs. and kids every once in a while LOL. Its a tough decision and I think that it shouldnt be taken likely. Every community in the navy needs manning, and as Snipe Dude says, just b/c your in the midwest, it doesnt make you any less of a Sailor or Naval Aviator.

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
Snipe Dude says, just b/c your in the midwest, it doesnt make you any less of a Sailor or Naval Aviator.

Yeah... just keep telling yourself that as you're working out in the Martin Bomber building, waltzing the AAFES aisles, and playing PS3 in the shiny alert facility @ Offutt AFB on your TACAMO "deployment" :D

Remember... I shared the ramp with you guys. Sorry to dime you out!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Playing video games nonstop is different than being on ship? Guess my cruise experience wasn't the same as yours...

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
Playing video games nonstop is different than being on ship? Guess my cruise experience wasn't the same as yours...

11_G.jpg

My Super Nintendo was maritime "adapted" :)... man am I old!

It was all cruise movies on VHS (no DVDs), bulking Walkmans (no MP3s, iPods) and cigars and conversation on the flight deck during sunset.

ArkansasFlyBoy

None
I appreciate everyones inputs in regards to selection. After a long talk with the family we have decided to keep our original inputs in (Strike/Fighter). I think that this is the best choice. Thanks again to everyone and fly safe!!!