• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Platform preference

ENSKitty

Two things I want to make clear before I continue with this post:
1) I know that I might not get my preference, needs of the Navy, etc.
2) I know it's ridiculous for me to care about this now when I haven't even started Primary
3) I know I should/can be happy in any platform

Now, having said that... I am the kind of person who likes to have an idea of something to shoot for. Also, I am getting married in a few months, and I have to start thinking of my fiance's (Navy CEC) career too.

Right now, I would really love to be a Prowler NFO, but Whidbey Island doesn't really have good visibility (or so I've heard) for a CEC officer. He says he wants be to shoot for the platform that will make me happiest, but I don't like where it has to be all or nothing for us.

Basically, my knee-jerk concerns about the other platforms are:
1. P-3... It seems everyone who wants P-3s is doing so for the per diem or to not go to sea, both of which aren't important to me. I don't do things for the money, and going to sea... well, that just seems what someone in the Navy would do.
2. E-2... The tube seems like a dark, cubicle-like hobbit hole from which there is no escape.
3. F/A-18... Every SNA I've ever met who is a complete and total hot dog, jerk, smug a$$, etc. wants to go jets or did go jets. And I've heard that they don't get better in the fleet.

Please, no one take offense at my concerns. In fact, I'm hoping some of you can say "No, that's not how it is" or "Yes, but _____ makes it worth it."

Thanks in advance!

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
1. P-3... It seems everyone who wants P-3s is doing so for the per diem or to not go to sea, both of which aren't important to me. I don't do things for the money, and going to sea... well, that just seems what someone in the Navy would do.

Per diem these days is not what it used to be. As far as not going to sea, good chance you're gonna trade that for a stint in the desert. Keep that in mind.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Something that I would prepare for, is one of you, at maybe sooner than later, having to sacrifice a "competitive" career in order to be co-located. Just something to think about.

Sorry I can't offer much more advice. Best of luck. Dual military spouses is not an easy road.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
ENSKitty said:
Right now, I would really love to be a Prowler NFO, but Whidbey Island doesn't really have good visibility (or so I've heard) for a CEC officer. He says he wants be to shoot for the platform that will make me happiest, but I don't like where it has to be all or nothing for us.
You need to choose your priority and be willing to live with the results. It's going to be career first or collocation first, not both. Whether you like it or not, that is the Navy. Here is my story which I just posted yesterday. Every dual military couple I know has a similar one.

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showpost.php?p=310629&postcount=27

ENSKitty

Well, I was really looking for reasons to allay or mitigate my concerns about the other platforms so that maybe I could pick a platform that would be something I would want, yet also be a good location for his career.

Good advice/ warnings, though.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
3. F/A-18... Every SNA I've ever met who is a complete and total hot dog, jerk, smug a$$, etc. wants to go jets or did go jets. And I've heard that they don't get better in the fleet.

Please, no one take offense at my concerns. In fact, I'm hoping some of you can say "No, that's not how it is" or "Yes, but _____ makes it worth it."

Thanks in advance!
No, that's not how it is. But then again, how would you want your average fighter/attack pilot to behave? Tea and crumpets with white gloves?

A certain degree of bravado or desire to be the best may be a prerequisite. However, the values most closesly associated with the 18 community are professionalism in everything you do, a commitment to the mission, and comraderie with your squadronmates. From the little experience I have, the hot dogs, jerks, or smug asses don't get very far without being corrected.

Let us put it this way. You show up to your fleet squadron with 26 traps and about 300 hours of military flight training. Your XO, CO, and department heads will have about 10 times those numbers, be technical experts on multiple radars, missiles, bombs, threats, and tactics, be able to take the jet apart with a screwdriver and tell you the names of each wire, and kick your ass in BFM without using afterburner. They will have been to Top Gun. They will have combat experience. They will have balanced a family life with a spotless military career for 10-20 years. Many will have advanced degrees. If a FNG shows up with any of the attitudes you listed, he will be put in his place or he will not make it.

Nobody cares about the cocky asshole with 200 hours in a Cessna who really wants to fly jets.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Nobody cares about the cocky asshole with 200 hours in a Cessna who really wants to fly jets.

I love these guys in helo training.

ENSKitty...I believe the advice was posted here before. Go ugly early.

Do the best you can and and ask for what you want...when you get it, be happy, when you don't, be happy.

I hope, for your preferences, not to see you at south park. If I do, we'll have a good time. Be safe.

~D

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Now, having said that... I am the kind of person who likes to have an idea of something to shoot for. Also, I am getting married in a few months, and I have to start thinking of my fiance's (Navy CEC) career too.

As a CEC guy, I can say you're right about Whidbey not having good visibility, but you can say that for the entire northwest as far as the CEC is concerned. As another has said, visibility pre-LT it doesn't really matter, but on the other hand, it's way better than being in an out-of-sight, out-of-mind location (like me, in this shitty, shitty, town). For instance, NAVFAC SW is headquartered in San Diego, and they have a wardroom breakfast the first Wednesday every month. People like me out at China Lake, Fallon, or 29 palms just take the pipe on that one.

If you're looking for a compromise, E-2s might be it. Port Hueneme and Norfolk are major areas for the CEC, in particular Port Hueneme because that's where the west coast NMCBs are.

The good news is that CEC guys can pretty much get a billet at any Navy or Marine Corps base. The bad news is that if your fiance wants to make a career out of the CEC, he'll have to do a Seabee tour, which can only be done in Port Hueneme, Gulfport, MS, San Diego or Norfolk. San Diego and Norfolk really can't be counted on as each one only has an Amphibious Construction Battalion (ACB) with roughly four O-1/O-2 and four O-3 billets each.

Hope this helps, or if nothing else, confused you even more. Best of luck!

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
We know how them VERTREP guys can be out of sight of the ship.. :D

I'd object, but you're kinder to us old 46 dinosaurs than some other folks on this board.