• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Plane has trouble landing on an aircraft carrier

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
When he says a 60 knot seat... it means you need 60+ knots on the jet to eject safely...

So... you get a cold-catapult... end up in the water... do you want that canopy in the way?

Plus .... 60+ knots forward speed and no left-wing/right-wing/nose down ... i.e., level attitude. So .... you really had to know your "game plan" regarding ejection parameters prior to ever manning up.

If you want to stay alive:
ALWAYS KNOW YOUR SEAT PARAMETERS PRIOR TO FLYING !!! ALWAYS KNOW YOUR AIRCRAFT CAPABILITIES !!! ALWAYS KEEP YOUR HEAD ON A SWIVEL !!! ALWAYS KNOW YOUR PERSONAL LIMITATIONS !!! :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
MartinBakerFan said:
Wow, shocking video. Does anyone know if the pilot survived?
I saw the F-9 flim strip during training -- if memory serves, yeah, he made it.

Amongst many crash flicks we also saw the infamous "motivational film" wherein an A-3D WHALE (A3-D --- a.k.a. "all three dead" ) dribbles off the angle after a wire broke --- He almost had regained flying speed --- but not quite --- and settled into the drink. They all made it and are seen here sitting on the wing awaiting pickup. Heavy 8, i.e., VAH-8.

When we saw the filmclip, everyone was on their feet in the Ready Room yelling :

"GO WHALE !!! GO WHALE !!! " :)

a3d29eq.jpg

beau

yikes...seen that one before.....man...talk about close calls....that had cartwheel writen all over it.

Karaya-1

The BuNo number on the aircraft is 141065, F9F-8B, #209. Anyone know how to fnd out who the pilot was?