• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Plane has trouble landing on an aircraft carrier

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's an F9F-8B Cougar from VA-113 "Stingers" on the USS Essex

Lonestar155

is good to go
After watching that video i have a few questions. How come the pilot never ejected? If the plane ever does go down in the water how does the pilot escape? How the HELL did no one get whippped out?!?!?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lonestar155 said:
After watching that video i have a few questions. How come the pilot never ejected? If the plane ever does go down in the water how does the pilot escape? How the HELL did no one get whippped out?!?!?

b/c in the 50's zero-zero seats hadn't been invented yet.

climbs out and jumps clear

no idea what 'whipped out' means

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
And that, boys and girls, is why we check our NOTAMS..."Short field gear removed for maintenance."

Karaya-1

Are you sure it is from the VF-113 Stingers? The VF-112 Broncos were on the Essex at the same time flying the same plane.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
Super18Ordie said:
Planes has trouble landing on an aircraft carrier

It seems to me that the boat just got in the way of the plane and the ocean.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Question... What was the point of keeping the canopy open? Other than make for a quicker rescue/egress if needed that is.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TheBubba said:
Question... What was the point of keeping the canopy open? Other than make for a quicker rescue/egress if needed that is.

When he says a 60 knot seat... it means you need 60+ knots on the jet to eject safely...

So... you get a cold-catapult... end up in the water... do you want that canopy in the way?