• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Plane Crash in KY

Rubiks06

pilot
It just seems so hard to believe they would take off from the wrong runway. They are saying the runway that they could have taken off from was closed and unlighted. Still anyones guess though.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Mefesto said:
Guys land on wrong runways, and wrong airports.

2 Months ago, a T-34 was cleared by North Tower to land at runway 32 on North Field. South Tower had NO IDEA why, seconds later, a T-34 was landing on runway 32 at South Field.

~D

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
2 Months ago, a T-34 was cleared by North Tower to land at runway 32 on North Field. South Tower had NO IDEA why, seconds later, a T-34 was landing on runway 32 at South Field.

~D

Sh!t happens all the time. I know of at least 3 incidents in the last 6 months. It is easier to do than you think!

zuggerat

My father got called into work this morning at 0800, theyre already working with transport Canada, so far it appears that it is pilot error as previously stated in the thread. The RJ was already being looked at due to faulty trim tab adjusters found in several aircraft in the fleet. Not a good last few months for Bombardier.

Jay

When I was a sprout, I worked line service at a Class C field with an AFB as well as two very nice Class G airports all within about 7 miles of eachother. Just to name one, we had a 2 ship of F-16's land.......under the assumption they were at the AFB. I can think of one other instance, just goes to show you things like this happen.

KSUFLY

pilot
It's so easy to get involved inside the cockpit and not realize exactly what's going on outside. It happens in mult-crew aircraft and single pilot. You really can't start pointing fingers and saying, "How the hell can something like this happen?" It's called human error and as long as humans are flying aircraft, it will always be a factor.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The actual aircraft involved.
L

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
The shorter runway is in full view. Larger airplanes have to taxi across the shorter runway to the longer one (like the one is doing in the pic). They must have been really distracted in the cockpit. (just assuming...)

br52015mh9.jpg

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
The shorter runway is in full view. Larger airplanes have to taxi across the shorter runway to the longer one (like the one is doing in the pic). They must have been really distracted in the cockpit. (just assuming...)

br52015mh9.jpg

You don't have to be that distracted. In Advanced once I turned to take off on 23 even though I had 14 twisted in the RMI, had just listened to ATIS moments before, had it written on my kneeboard, and checked the windsock. Its a lot easier than you think. Thats why its good to do a last common sense check, as my IP asked me what the hell I was doing in that case.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
You don't have to be that distracted. In Advanced once I turned to take off on 23 even though I had 14 twisted in the RMI, had just listened to ATIS moments before, had it written on my kneeboard, and checked the windsock. Its a lot easier than you think. Thats why its good to do a last common sense check, as my IP asked me what the hell I was doing in that case.

I understand and I have done it before too. But...to be starting the t/o roll and not realize the different runway pattern, length, etc. takes a lot more distractions then normal.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I understand and I have done it before too. But...to be starting the t/o roll and not realize the different runway pattern, length, etc. takes a lot more distractions then normal.

Does it now? It's my understanding that it was still dark as well. Probably wasn't busy either. It doesn't always take many distractions to make a fatal error. Perhaps unfamilar with the airfield, it's night, they make the left turn onto the wrong runway, all seems normal, no call from tower, etc. Obviously purely conjecture on my part since we don't know what happened. I'm just sorry that 49 people were killed.