• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Places to live near Eglin AFB

Python

pilot
Contributor
Moving there in the not too distant future...any gouge on best communities? Traffic? Etc?

Thanks in advance.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Moving there in the not too distant future...any gouge on best communities? Traffic? Etc?

Thanks in advance.

I grew up near there. Niceville is...well, nice. But seriously: very good schools, good cost of living. Consistently ranked as one of the best small towns in Florida.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
If you're single and want to be close to the beach: something walking distance to either Helen Back or Boshamps, your choice.

Bravo Kilo

I lived in Fort Walton Beach when I was there and it's great. Depending on where you're at in FWB there is a nice community of shops and bars. Not too far from anything you need. It's also not far from the various beaches in the area, but the important thing is that you're on the right side of the bridge. If you choose to live on Okaloosa or Destin, the bridges there become a major bottleneck, especially in tourist season. Prices are reasonable in this area too. Okaloosa and Destin are nicer still with more restaurants, good bars, and shops, but it's a good bit more expensive. My commute to Eglin from my house was about 15-20m in the mornings. There was usually traffic at the south gate every day, and I had to drive like a grandma on base because I swear the Security Forces were out to get me. Also I worked at the flight line which is on the far side, so I had to drive across base. Anyway FWB/Okaloosa/Destin are awesome all around, but if you're single or just not boring, this is where you will want to be. If you have a family or want to buy a house you need to be looking north of the base. Lots of people have been buying houses in Crestview. Cheap houses, new construction. It's far from base, but as my bosses used to say "if I can drive 45m and make it to work on time, then so can you." Niceville is also a little quieter, but closer to base. There isn't much there imo, but if you want to drive to Destin for some fun, you can take the toll bridge shortcut for a few bucks.