• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Places to live in Whiting

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Curious if anyone has any updated gouge. Just found out that I'm going to TAW-5 so looking for places to live. I live out on Peridido now and I don't like how far it is from any semblance of social life (Flora-bama notwithstanding). I'm thinking live up by UWF and gut out the long commute since the 10 mins to downtown will be worth it on the weekend. Thoughts?

That area is still the best choice.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I disagree with living by UWF. Ever seen Davis highway? Depending on where you live you may be hitting that traffic every day vice every Friday and Saturday evening. So far, all of my instructor buds who decided to live there as well have all abandoned ship for either East Hill or Pace. Long commute, and it's not just 10 minutes to downtown.

Sonog

pilot
has uber made its way to pensacola? because that would be a game changer for living in milton

Leif

I lived on the West side of Pace and really enjoyed it. Not particularly close to anything but not terribly far from anything either. About 20ish minutes from base and 20ish minutes from downtown. If downtown is your scene more power to you, I ended up spending far more time down on Pensacola beach so I wish there was a place that was closer to that without having a prohibitively long commute to base.

Regardless of where you live, for the love of god enjoy your time in Pensacola. I never thought I'd say that going into primary but almost a year in KVegas has changed my tune :D

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Awesome, thank you all for the input. I think we're looking more in the East Hill/Pace areas now. Definitely looking forward to staying here, I was planning on going to Corpus but the only knock I've heard on Milton so far is that it's in the middle of nowhere (hence the desire to live closer to downtown Pcola)

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Awesome, thank you all for the input. I think we're looking more in the East Hill/Pace areas now. Definitely looking forward to staying here, I was planning on going to Corpus but the only knock I've heard on Milton so far is that it's in the middle of nowhere (hence the desire to live closer to downtown Pcola)

My only caution as a flight school student living all the way down in East Hill is consider that you'll have some really early briefs - occasionally 0430. If you go to HT's, that means you're doing weight and balance at 4 in the morning, which means you're leaving your house at probably 0300-0315. Also, consider that the "party" scene being a bit far away may be a good thing. Pace is good enough to go party once in a while, but also a deterrent enough to not do it all the dang time. If you're just looking for restaurants and a bar here or there, Pace and Milton are fine nowadays. Just drive through Hwy 90 and you'll see - the place is growing - fast. It's not going to have the quality of bars in Pensacola, but it's good some halfway decent restaurants and a watering hole here and there.

nukon

pilot
My only caution as a flight school student living all the way down in East Hill is consider that you'll have some really early briefs - occasionally 0430. If you go to HT's, that means you're doing weight and balance at 4 in the morning, which means you're leaving your house at probably 0300-0315. Also, consider that the "party" scene being a bit far away may be a good thing. Pace is good enough to go party once in a while, but also a deterrent enough to not do it all the dang time. If you're just looking for restaurants and a bar here or there, Pace and Milton are fine nowadays. Just drive through Hwy 90 and you'll see - the place is growing - fast. It's not going to have the quality of bars in Pensacola, but it's good some halfway decent restaurants and a watering hole here and there.

Milton is as unexciting as promised, however, there is (was?) a pretty solid Po' Boy place. Other than that, can't really recommend it unless you really hate commuting.

FWIW: I lived at 'Park on the Square' (500' from Governor's gate), my buddy lived in East Hill, and my girlfriend lived in Pace. Due to the impending aneurism/case study in highway engineering that is Davis Hwy, it took my buddy maybe 7 minutes longer to get to work - even less if I left at the wrong time. IMO, the difference between 35 minutes from UWF and 42 minutes from East Hill is a wash given the required NE Pensacola traffic slop factor. Took me 22 minutes to the squadron from her place in Pace (Avalon/90). I used the drive to review flashcards /chill out (technique only).

If I had to do it again, I'd think real hard about East Hill, but I admit that's largely because I liked to study downtown and hangout with my NFO buddies in Perdido.

In defense of Pace, they just did add a Tin Cow, a Panera Bread, a Jersey Mikes, a Five Guys, and there's even a Target with a Starbucks in it. It's highly livable, but probably not lovable.

Last edited:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
My only caution as a flight school student living all the way down in East Hill is consider that you'll have some really early briefs - occasionally 0430. If you go to HT's, that means you're doing weight and balance at 4 in the morning, which means you're leaving your house at probably 0300-0315.
^^^ This is good advice.

You can make very good time at that time of the day because there aren't any rubes driving nowhere slowly like there are during the day. BUT, the whole length of Avalon Blvd is 45 (used to be 55 a long time ag0). The local law enforcement will tolerate a moderate number over the posted limit and good manners go a long way if do you get caught exceeding that, but the simple fact is that drive is no fun when you have a 0445~0530 brief, plus a few more minutes earlier for your last bit of pre-brief prep/paperwork.

Plenty of flight students live farther that that and make it through just fine, but it's one more thing to consider.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Just trying to get current information on best places to live for Primary. Any recommendations?
The Whiting Q...and if the almighty beer machine is still stashed within the Whiting Q, get your almighty quarters ready...good times! :D

MemphisBell

pilot
I lived in Governors Gate during my time at NAS Whiting. They were really nice apartments in a pretty decent location however that 35+ drive got old after a while. I would usually use that time to practice my briefs, go over EP's, or do a little chair flying. I had lots of friends that lived in the Pace area and they seemed to enjoy it and they really weren't to far away from downtown Pcola. Just depends on what you are looking for. If you think you will hitting up practice sims a lot, i would probably pick Pace. If you want to live in a "city", pick UWF/East Hill area.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Curious if anyone has any updated gouge. Just found out that I'm going to TAW-5 so looking for places to live. I live out on Peridido now and I don't like how far it is from any semblance of social life (Flora-bama notwithstanding). I'm thinking live up by UWF and gut out the long commute since the 10 mins to downtown will be worth it on the weekend. Thoughts?

Find a place? What did you decide?

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Find a place? What did you decide?

Yeah we ended up finding a place about 5 minutes south of I-10 off of 281 right on the water of Escambia Bay. The owner is an retired E-2 NFO (call sign Kiwi for anyone who might know him). 25 mins to base and 25 to downtown so it does the whole Goldilocks thing pretty well, and it even has a beach volleyball court for recreating Top Gun montages!