• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pistols for pilots

Status
Not open for further replies.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
If there ever is an option of carrying your own sidearm, or if you just want a good pistol to shoot, I highly recommend the Browning Hi-power. FN also makes it (less expensive) and Hi-powers come in 9 and 40. They're great for someone with short stubby hands & sausage fingers. I've shot competition with it and always carried it as a backup on all my hunts; I'm very happy with its performance.

Or you could go ALL out and opt for the Desert Eagle in the 50 AE!!

LAND MINES are equal opportunity weapons!!!

kabttu

Tripp, I hear ya on that Walther. I've got the S&W version, SW99 (.40). Love that gun. If I were to choose what gun I'd want to carry though, I'd choose the H&K USP Tactical.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone ever shoot a Kimber? I've got a Kimber Eclipse II .45 target model. This is one sweet gun and I would recommend it to anyone who's thinking of buying...

It's been my experience that in the world of firearms you get what you pay for. Don't sacrifice quality on equipment that could potentially save your life one day.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Originally posted by beau
I gotta love my P226 Sig!!!

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Don't you just LOVE the P226? What is your's chambered in? Mine is 9mm. Gotta love hi-caps too. I was thinking a P220 .45 for my next pistol. In my opinion, it shoots much better than the 1911s, but that's just me.

Navy ROTC Guy

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Originally posted by bcgeib
Anyone ever shoot a Kimber? I've got a Kimber Eclipse II .45 target model. This is one sweet gun and I would recommend it to anyone who's thinking of buying...

It's been my experience that in the world of firearms you get what you pay for. Don't sacrifice quality on equipment that could potentially save your life one day.

Never shot a Kimber, I've been itching to. Definitely correct that firearms are usually worth their price. Not always true (aka pre-ban stuff), but what rule ever is? I paid $700 for my SIG and I don't regret it one bit. I am always confident it will go bang when I pull the trigger.

Navy ROTC Guy

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Beretta 9mm is what I carried. Sure was a pain in the neck while wearing a dry suit. Dry suit, flight suit, SV-2, Torso harness, G suit....I felt like the Michellin Man flying an airplane. For those who care, back in the states, I would wear an integrated torso/SV-2 combination. If I was going to where the shooting was then I would switch to separate Torso and SV-2 primarily because I could pack more survival gear into the SV-2 vest. Personal opinion but one you have to consider before flying. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMCR

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
It's really refreshiong to hear that the Navy is issuing *and* operationally deploying aircrews with defensive sidearms, especially the Helo guys. When I was a HC ('46) pilot in Gulf War 1, it was a big big deal for us to be allowed to carry an M1911 .45. Technically we were only allowed to carry them for nuke weps moves but when we started flying into some unsecure/desolate beachside locations it felt good to have something avaiulable to defend yourself if someone was trying to ruin your day.

It's nice to see the change in attitude towards small arms. Are HC, HSL, and HS aircrew/pilots always flying with a pistol now? What about body armor?

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Tec-9 or Mac-10...those are tasty and come in a convenient travel size.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, the FN P-90 is more effective at piercing body armor...I'd much rather have a 9mm for "kill factor" (I made that term up). The 5.7mm round is an ice pick.

Tec-9 sucks. Mac-10 is a bullet hose. Neither will do you any good.

I wouldn't mind an M-4 if I ended up in -60's though...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
TEC-9 or MAC-10? Who's flying, Ice-Cube?

I think the 5.7 will have an internal ricochet effect similar to the 5.56.

To go back to an earlier post, I don't know about HC, HS, etc, but the Marines are generally wearing body armor. I do w/out the chickenplate, though.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
LOL "thug-tastic". That's awesome.

Suppressed MAC-10 were used by SpecOps for a little while in the 70s I believe. As I understand it, without the suppressor, it's quite a handful to keep controlled. More like a "bruuuuuaaaaap" and you're done.

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
^ Hey man, once you let that one good, "bruuuuuaaaaap" out...people will know that you ain't messin' around. Only if you hold it parallel to the ground though, it increases your thug factor by at least 30%.

Status
Not open for further replies.