• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pinpoint airdrops vital to Afghan outposts

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Pinpoint airdrops vital to Afghan outposts

Interesting USA Today article/USAF feel-good story about aerial resupply in the 'Stan; counterinsurgency strategy and the proliferation of numerous remote outposts that are basically inaccessible by road; improved air drop tactics and technology; and finally (without actually using the exact phrase), the "operational level of war."

Heh... looks like a JPME case study in the making. Or maybe some O-4's term paper.

(There are also a bunch of reader comments at the bottom on whether we should even be there anymore...)

sodajones

Combat Engineer
They made our situation a lot better than it could have been so I'm not complaining.

IMG_1967.jpg

foxhnd007

pilot
"In the early days of resupply in Afghanistan, loads would often break apart or fall on homes." Hmmm exactly like the later days of resupply in Afghanistan. Pinpoint must be Air Force speak for "within 1 KM of designated, properly marked, 10 digit grid drop zone."

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
10 digit grid drop zone? What is that, a drop zone for ants?

No kidding. 10 digit will get you weapons employment. I certainly don't think you need that specific of coordinates for an air drop of supplies, but then again if they are aways way off, maybe they need better coordinates.