• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pink Slips in Flight school

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
That’s the general rule, however, usually any received prior to API/ NIFE won’t count after NIFE completion. Not sure if it’s changed, however, it’s very possible to get through CNATRA without receiving one.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pink sheets are no longer a clear 3 and out. A pink sheet is considered a signal of difficulty and the student may require addition training. You can still complete flight school with many pink sheets. If a student has a positive mental attitude and a willingness to try, they can overcome multiple pink sheets. With the current syllabi, the great crux is NSS and End of Block grades.

MGoBrew11

pilot
There are very specific criteria for failing out and it’s not as simple as three pink sheets.

The syllabus handout that your son or daughter has lays out what happens in the event of failure…basically if you fail enough in a block or you fail a check ride it triggers an Initial Progress Check or IPC. That’s done with a Standardization pilot (typically a senior IP with lots of experience). If you pass that, you just resume the syllabus. If you fail an IPC, you do a FPC with the squadron Commanding Officer. If a student fails the FPC, they’re likely done.

Bottom line tho, it’s not as simple as just 3 failures and it takes awhile to get to that point.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
If a student has a positive mental attitude and a willingness to try, they can overcome multiple pink sheets.

^^^THIS!^^^

I received 3 pink slips* early on in primary in 1987. I was trying really hard and VT-2 realized this…and they worked with me to get me through. Also, I specifically remember going before the base CO and stating the Mayonnaise character line [of the movie AO&AG] “I got no place to go!”

*LATE ENTRY: Pink slip aka down.

Last edited:

croakerfish

pilot
Thank you all so much that eases my mind. He is in advanced for helicopters. I am stressed out and I am not even the one going through the training. I'm getting a mix drink now.
Has he racked up multiple pink sheets? There are pink sheets for training failures and pink sheets for disciplinary issues like being late for stuff that are handled differently.

Flyerdad

He has two for testing failures. One in NIFE and one in advanced. Both tests he just missed passing by one question. He passed both on second go around.

JustAGuy

pilot
For prosperity sake, I got three pink sheets in T-2's back in the early 'oughts. One for legitimate headwork inflight, one for a pretty BS sim performance (Remembered EP procedures and where switch was, but forgot what the name of the switch was) and one more for something I can't remember, but feel it was for something performance related, but not heinous. I felt I had a great attitude about it all and at the PRB they gave me the "One more and you're gone" ultimatum.

Went through rest of that syllabus, T-45's and everything in the fleet to retirement without every getting a refly post that experience. As an instructor sometimes the best way to gauge how good someone is is how they handle screwing something up and if they learn from those experiences.

Renegade One

None
I am a father of a SNA and was wondering how pink slips work. Is it three and out?
Dear OP: As you've read above, here is no "specific rule". That said...pinks are bad, for whatever reason. Much else depends...

He's your kid...I get it. But it's his life...and his hurdle to overcome right now. Lay off the mixed drinks. They won't help anything. Thanks for being a great dad.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Hey mad dog he is too young for that movie but great idea!!! I want to party with you my friend!!!!!!

You probably don’t want to party with me because:
  1. I drive a 15 year old Ford Police Interceptor as well as ride a Honda Monkey [see avatar].
  2. I wear my high school letterman’s jacket from 1979 [with Metallica t-shirts].
  3. I ride skateboards [not very well]…I own 2 different skateboards…both are G&S decks with Gullwing trucks.
  4. I collect and ride [and used to race] Schwinn bicycles.
  5. I wear Omega Speedmaster Moonwatches religiously [I own 4 of them…see #6, #7, and #8 below] and I talk about them continuously.
  6. I own a 1964 Speedmaster 321, a 1971 Speedmaster 861, a 2015 Speedmaster 1861, and a 2022 Speedmaster 3861.
  7. My Speedmasters all look the same…but they are very different.
  8. My Speedmasters are awesome.
:D

Last edited:

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You probably don’t want to party with me because:
  1. I drive a 15 year old Ford Police Interceptor as well as ride a Honda Monkey [see avatar].
  2. I wear my high school letterman’s jacket from 1979 [with Metallica t-shirts].
  3. I ride skateboards [not very well]…I own 2 different skateboards…both are G&S decks with Gullwing trucks.
  4. I collect and ride [and used to race] Schwinn bicycles.
  5. I wear Omega Speedmaster Moonwatches religiously [I own 4 of them…see #6, #7, and #8 below] and I talk about them continuously.
  6. I own a 1964 Speedmaster 321, a 1971 Speedmaster 861, a 2015 Speedmaster 1861, and a 2022 Speedmaster 3861.
  7. My Speedmasters all look the same…but they are very different.
  8. My Speedmasters are awesome.
:D
I think those ARE reasons to party with you. You sound like you'd be a hoot to hang out with... (am I right @ChuckMK23?)