• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot Vision

Landonian44

I am nearsighted and my vision sucks...I am only in highschool but I've wanted to fly since i was little. If I get PRK surgery will that allow me to fly?

FastMover

NFO
None
Yes, PRK is waiverable for aviation. Being as you're still in high school you may have to wait a few years before you have it done though. There has also been talk that LASIK will be an option for aviators in the future, but I don't know what the time line is.

FastMover

NFO
None
I'm not a pilot, but I did have PRK done last March. I would definitely do it again. It's worth the money and discomfort even if you decide later that you don't want to join the military.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I'm not a pilot, but I did have PRK done last March. I would definitely do it again. It's worth the money and discomfort even if you decide later that you don't want to join the military.
Just had my flight physical today! PRK still holding up perfectly!

guim13

Go to the nomi website (google search nomi navy) and download the waiver guide. There are some pre op limits you need to be within to have the surgery. If you are out of the pre op limits, ur wasting your money. Make sure ur astigmatism is within limits, i was 20/40 which is within limits, but my astigmatism was 1.75, so the laser it was.

Davin

i had mine done through the navy over at camp pendelton. i have heard that it is more desirable, if not mandatory, to get it done through the military if you are going to get a waiver. it is also free if you go that route.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I have been doing some searches but I just wanted to double check with people have actually done it.

In that case, I had my PRK done in Jan 03 and still have 20/12 each eye. Of course I was already a naval aviator as well. Thing is, my eyes had stopped changing, had been the same over a course of 3 years prior to the surgery. I'm no doc but if someone has the surgery at say age 22, do the eyes continue changing after the fact? Any docs? Of course, I was told I will go farsighted at some point.....such is life when getting old.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Yes your eyes keep changing. I will DEFINITELY get the surgery, but only being about 22, I want to wait until after my first deployment to do so. As long as I stay below 20/100 until then, I'm fine.

tlord82

pilot
I had PRK at the tender age of 20 in 2001...my eyes were 20/10 for a long time after the surgery. But within the last year or so, my eye sight has degraded to just around 20/20. Sometimes in a room that is not lit too well, I have noticed the degradation, but never in the aircraft.
I wholeheartedly recommend the surgery; best decision I ever made.