• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot Training questions

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
You will never know if others have previous flight experience. Most of the time this info is not divulged. If you want to prepare as best you can you should have some previous flight time. And no, it is not a lie.

I don't know about other primary classes, but for mine this was 100% NOT TRUE. Our flight leader specifically asked us as a class who had previous flight time (just out of curiosity). It wasn't a secret and no one cared, but it did come up casually.

It's not necessary and probably doesn't get you much of an advantage beyond a couple of the contact flights.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
There is alot you could do prior to entering pilot training. I would highly recommend getting your private & if possible an instrument rating. You will be competing against those who have this. Top of the class gets first choice in type of a/c (if available). No matter what anyone tells you, flight grades are the most important criteria you are judged by. Even though military flying is considerably different than civilian (especially Naval Aviation), you must have some experience prior to entering flight school.

This is bad info. Your profile says you are a former F-14 driver. When did you go through flight school?

You will never know if others have previous flight experience. Most of the time this info is not divulged. If you want to prepare as best you can you should have some previous flight time. And no, it is not a lie.

I would dare to say that most guys who select jets did not have prior flight time. I've flow with guys who have had prior flight time and some have been solid and a few have sucked. It's not always a guarantee.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor

C'mon..be nice guys...if he's truely an F-14A pilot from the Pukin' dogs, he's a bit older and it may have helped when he went through in the early 80s...

Kycntryboy

pilot
Where are you getting this bad gouge? Previous flight time probably won't hurt, but it certainly isn't needed.

Agree with you, callin schenanagans on that gouge.

You'll learn everything basic thing you need to know to start primary with IFS. If anything I felt IPs were impressed more when you're a good stick with no prior experience. Know more and they'll expect more type deal.

If want to go strictly aviation (at this point) I think OCS would be the best route (depends which branch). The AF told me it would be a non-starter applying staight to OTS with no prior flight experience for an aviation slot. The Navy told me it wouldn't be a problem. Just read up on the different branches to know which one your personallity fits best with.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Again with the prior flight time question... look, it's a "nice to have," that's it. Most emphatically nota pre-req. I think most IPs would rather train you up from scratch than have to de-program bad (or at least non-Navy) habits acquired over a lot of private time.

IFS is really for finding out if you're trainable. And if you're incurably airsick, we'd rather find out sooner than later.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
C'mon..be nice guys...if he's truely an F-14A pilot from the Pukin' dogs, he's a bit older and it may have helped when he went through in the early 80s...

Then he won't have a problem sharing his experience, when he went through flight school and the Pukin Dogs.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Again with the prior flight time question... look, it's a "nice to have," that's it. Most emphatically nota pre-req. I think most IPs would rather train you up from scratch than have to de-program bad (or at least non-Navy) habits acquired over a lot of private time.

IFS is really for finding out if you're trainable. And if you're incurably airsick, we'd rather find out sooner than later.

It's really more of a matter of "what you do with it" rather than "what you have" in terms of prior flight experience.

I have literally seen guys with no flight experience at all end up as MAWTS instructors and Blue Angels. These guys knew nothing ahead of time and just worked hard and learned fast.

I have also seen guys who came in with their ATP get attrited from the RAG.

One of my roomates in advanced nearly got attrited, and he was a mutli thousand hour ATP when he started. In the end he begged for Prowlers, but his boat grades were so bad that he got Hornets. He was one of these "I've seen all this before" and "That's not the way we did it at my company" type of guys.

If you want to learn to fly civilian, then by all means do so. If you think that it's a free ticket to getting jets (or whatever), then you're sadly mistaken.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
You either have "IT" or you don't. If you have it and have flight time, you are going to rock. If you don't have it, flight time or not, you won't make it.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...... you must have some experience prior to entering flight school.
That's just completely wrong. Complete bullshit. What country's Navy did you say you were in, by the way???

Do not put out bad gouge for the newbies and wannabies. Welcome to AirWarriors.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
That's just completely wrong. Complete bullshit. What country's Navy did you say you were in, by the way???

Do not put out bad gouge for the newbies and wannabies. Welcome to AirWarriors.

no kidding....the first time I ever heard the word trim in primary, I thought he, (the IP) was talking about something else...:icon_wink