• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot Slot Guaranteed

exNavyOffRec

Easy Solution.

Don't fail out of flight school.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk
So true.

One thing I didn't understand is one of our SNA who was in the pipline his "group" all kept getting high scores, so then the cutoff went up and up, it seemed as if they were trying to flush a certain number out of the pipline, or was this just a perception?

MasterBates

Force shaping has many ugly and weird heads.

They involuntarily extended me from 7 years post wings to 8, then paid me $62,500 of a $125k DH Bonus, then forced me out at 12 years, and paid me a $78k separation pay, then tried to force me to finish out my DH commitment as a SELRES, then make me pay the 78k back when I get a reserve retirement at 60.

All the while, my CAG and below were shouting I'm needed to Big Navy.

Manpower management. We suck at it, even with a dedicated designator for it.

exNavyOffRec

Force shaping has many ugly and weird heads.

They involuntarily extended me from 7 years post wings to 8, then paid me $62,500 of a $125k DH Bonus, then forced me out at 12 years, and paid me a $78k separation pay, then tried to force me to finish out my DH commitment as a SELRES, then make me pay the 78k back when I get a reserve retirement at 60.

All the while, my CAG and below were shouting I'm needed to Big Navy.

Manpower management. We suck at it, even with a dedicated designator for it.

You mean the HR designator? It seems for many that is a dumping ground for those who can't cut it in their original designator, I have met a few good HR officer though.

draad

1. Strive for a 3.2 GPA. It's not a magic number, but if I were in your shoes, that's about the GPA I would be comfortable with. Higher is better of course. And Major is almost not relevant. A 3.5 in English beats a 3.3 in Engineering when it comes to pilot selection, sorry.
2. The ASTB is a seriously EASY test. You don't even have to have an engineering background to do well on that portion. The test prep books are out there, and if you just study that thing like you would for any test you'll do in API (and its not THAT much material, its pretty condensed and basic), then you can expect to get 9/9/9 or close to it.
3. Fail out of flight school? Flight school is...challenging and requires work, but for +95% of the people that wash out, there's a reason behind it such as "I just didn't study for x test/flight" or "I drank the night before." Seriously, if you're the type of guy that loves flying enough to get your Commercial, then you don't have to worry about washing out. Just don't neglect the actual STUDYING and you'll be fine.

exNavyOffRec

1. Strive for a 3.2 GPA. It's not a magic number, but if I were in your shoes, that's about the GPA I would be comfortable with. Higher is better of course. And Major is almost not relevant. A 3.5 in English beats a 3.3 in Engineering when it comes to pilot selection, sorry.
2. The ASTB is a seriously EASY test. You don't even have to have an engineering background to do well on that portion. The test prep books are out there, and if you just study that thing like you would for any test you'll do in API (and its not THAT much material, its pretty condensed and basic), then you can expect to get 9/9/9 or close to it.
3. Fail out of flight school? Flight school is...challenging and requires work, but for +95% of the people that wash out, there's a reason behind it such as "I just didn't study for x test/flight" or "I drank the night before." Seriously, if you're the type of guy that loves flying enough to get your Commercial, then you don't have to worry about washing out. Just don't neglect the actual STUDYING and you'll be fine.
1. Not true anymore, the factors for selection feedback says "Technical degrees preferred" of course a tech degree won't overcome adverse info or bad ASTB scores.
2. The ASTB is changing, rollout of new test is about March, it includes use of joystick and a few hours of work required to be done at home, total time involved is around 5 hours. The feedback from the test is take the old one, the new one is harder, but if that is true the board should adjust what they look at as the scores across the board will drop. I am waiting to see first hand how the scores look.