• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot Slot Guaranteed

Jake Hiller

I'm an enlisted infantryman in the Army National Guard and currently a college student. I have a private pilot's license and likely will have my commercial rating completed by the time at which I graduate. I have an interest in being a Naval Aviator. I was wondering if, before I committed to commissioning a Naval or Marine Corps officer, I could get a pilot slot guaranteed in my contract.

I am also curious as to how much of a factor college grades would be in determining if I could get such a slot and if my college major would matter. Is a degree in a technical subject required, as it seems to be in the Air Force?

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
You will apply to OCS for a certain designator (pilot, NFO, SWO, etc). If you don't get what you want, you aren't committed to go to OCS.

Grades are big. So is your performance on the standardized test known as the ASTB. Your PPL/Commercial tickets don't matter much (if at all). A technical major is not requred. Good grades in any major from an accredited university, solid ASTB scores, good letters of recommendation, good PRT scores, an excellent attitude, and a clean criminal record will go a long way. Best of luck.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your PPL/Commercial tickets don't matter much (if at all).
It absolutely does matter, but it isn't going to help a guy with crappy ASTB scores, college grades or a DWI. If one app looks just like the other except that one guy has a commercial license, the pilot will get the nod. Recruiting doesn't have T-34s for flight screening like back in the day. Having a pilots lic. at least indicates a guy has the basic aptitude for flight. The only thing they have to judge the aptitude of the guy without a pilots license is the ASTB. More info is always better. Lots of guys with good ASTB scores ended up not being able to learn the relationship between pitch and power.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I'm an enlisted infantryman in the Army National Guard and currently a college student. I have a private pilot's license and likely will have my commercial rating completed by the time at which I graduate. I have an interest in being a Naval Aviator. I was wondering if, before I committed to commissioning a Naval or Marine Corps officer, I could get a pilot slot guaranteed in my contract.

I am also curious as to how much of a factor college grades would be in determining if I could get such a slot and if my college major would matter. Is a degree in a technical subject required, as it seems to be in the Air Force?

Jake, drop me a line via PM if you want. I really don't have time to detail everything out right now. I will let you know, I came from the Army Reserve as an 88M and had a lot of the same background as you. If you want any tips, tricks, hints, gouge, whatever . . .I'll try my best to help you out. If I remember, I'll hop on here sometime this weekend and shoot you a message with what I know.

Jake Hiller

Thanks for the great info!

Realistically speaking, what types of grades would be competitive?

Once in flight school, what happens if one busts out? Must one fulfill one's commission?

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
I was accepted just over a year ago with a 3.0 in Technology Management. Don't expect to get in right now with that GPA. Work hard, get better grades.

I also had decent ASTB scores. I think I was 7/7/7 with a 60 OAR. Something like that.

If you f*ck up flight school, then you can possibly be redesignated to serve somewhere else, but with the force shaping that is going on, that's not a guarantee.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Two ways to get a guaranteed pilot spot in the Navy:
1. BDCP
2. OCS

These are not easy programs to get into. Talk to an Officer Recruiter and read up about how to get into these programs in other areas of AirWarriors. Good luck.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Jake Hiller

Just so I don't have to head over to an Air Force forum and ask there; can someone confirm my suspicions that in order to get a pilot slot in that service, one must have a degree in a technical field?

Also, is there a program in the USMC where one can get a pilot slot guaranteed before commissioning or going to TBS?

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
Jake, just want to throw you a bone here. Most of the information you're asking is available here if you use the search function. Some of the answers to your questions are in stickied threads too. Many of the people would rather you use the search function on the forum first. I'll assure you, this question has been asked before.
Also, is there a program in the USMC where one can get a pilot slot guaranteed before commissioning or going to TBS?

exNavyOffRec

Two ways to get a guaranteed pilot spot in the Navy:
1. BDCP
2. OCS

These are not easy programs to get into. Talk to an Officer Recruiter and read up about how to get into these programs in other areas of AirWarriors. Good luck.

-ea6bflyr ;)
BDCP is closed right now, we have been told any kits submitted for BDCP will be Pro Rec "X"

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
It absolutely does matter, but it isn't going to help a guy with crappy ASTB scores, college grades or a DWI. If one app looks just like the other except that one guy has a commercial license, the pilot will get the nod. Recruiting doesn't have T-34s for flight screening like back in the day. Having a pilots lic. at least indicates a guy has the basic aptitude for flight. The only thing they have to judge the aptitude of the guy without a pilots license is the ASTB. More info is always better. Lots of guys with good ASTB scores ended up not being able to learn the relationship between pitch and power.

While that is true, it does not guarantee the guy/gal will make it through API. I saw a few guys/gals with PPL/Commercial not make it and are now doing something else in the Navy. It can happen in the VTs/HTs too. I have seen licensed guys F it away. I have also seen licensed guys do extremely well. So it depends on the individual. I have also heard of licensed guys not wanting to do anything else but jets and they DOR when they do not get the Jet slot!

exNavyOffRec

Having a PPL may have mattered in the past, but not much now, it is all about ASTB and GPA, I have seen many applicants with PPL/Com/Inst ratings with GPA's in the mid 3's who scored 6 or 7 on PFAR that were not selected, none had adverse info in their application.

I am personally amazed at the number of English/History/Psych majors I have had get 8's and 9's with no flight experience.

Of the SNA and SNFO's we have had drop in the pipline (that we know about) only one did not have flight training.

Flying Toaster

None
Just so I don't have to head over to an Air Force forum and ask there; can someone confirm my suspicions that in order to get a pilot slot in that service, one must have a degree in a technical field?

Nope and it really isn't even taken into consideration. There are many AF pilots with a degree in "basket weaving."

exNavyOffRec

Nope and it really isn't even taken into consideration. Ask many an AF or ANG pilot and they'll tell you their degree is in "basket weaving."
It really depends on the individual board, if they have 2 people with identical GPA, identical ASTB scores, colleges of the same Tier level, but one has degree in English and the other ME, they will default to tech degree, but I have had MANY selected with non technical degrees, now if one fails out of flight school a person with a tech degree has more designator options to stay in than one that has non tech degree.