• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot shortage for firefighting helos...

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
42-63k/year, to be effectively "deployed" the entire fire season? Yeah, how about f*<£ and no.

At least CalFire flies 60s.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
42-63k/year, to be effectively "deployed" the entire fire season? Yeah, how about f*<£ and no.
Well unfortunately flying, as we all know, is like crack. And the big shots know enough of us are flying junkies. As long as 20-year-old schmucks are willing to go over $50K in debt to take a $20K a year job, why would they pay 'em more?

BleedGreen

pilot
I can tell you cal fire and most USFS contractors pay a lot more then then WA's DNR. That article is putting there state's pay scale on blast, that's not an accurate reflection of the rest of the fire service.

Ralph

Plus 60k isn't bad for helo money. Add in the 4 months of collecting unemployment the money isn't bad. Not airline money but more fun.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Plus 60k isn't bad for helo money. Add in the 4 months of collecting unemployment the money isn't bad. Not airline money but more fun.

Are you talking about newbie's with only single engine time or experienced captains with type ratings in big iron?

BleedGreen

pilot
I'm speaking about the guys flying hueys. They have generally spent 3-4 years min to get where they are. Yes there are those positions making next to nothing, ie the CWN (call when needed) bell 206 B3's guys making close to nothing. I'm just saying the fire service takes care of there pilots pretty well