• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Pilot selection process for prior commissioned service

BuzzRickson

I'm a recently separated active duty air force officer (4 years TIS) and I'm interested in going Navy to become a pilot.

I met with an officer recruiter this week and we talked over the basics. Based on my preliminary stats he seemed to think I'd be a competitive candidate so I've agreed to take the ASTB in a few weeks. However, I'm the only prior service officer he's ever had in his office and he wasn't sure whether or not I would need to attend OCS or some other commissioning program at Newport. I was always under the impression that once you’re an officer in any branch, you don't typically re-attend a traditional commissioning program like OCS. I've looked into ODS and DCO school but info on those paths seems to be scarce. Since I wasn't a flyer in the Air Force, I understand I'll probably have to compete with all the other traditional applicants for the pilot slot itself. My only concern is that my recruiter may start pushing me down the application path for OCS when in fact I should be applying under a different commissioning source like ODS, DCO, etc.

Thoughts?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I'm a recently separated active duty air force officer (4 years TIS) and I'm interested in going Navy to become a pilot

You’re not eligible. Read paragraph 6.d.

IST is not an option because that’s intended for either AC to AC or RC to RC. Additionally, with 4 years of commissioned service, that’s a huge risk getting you through flight school and to a first squadron before you’re in zone for O-4. You will likely 2X FOS out because you have few aviation aviation qualifications and milestones completed, the same ones that direct sources were able to accomplish.

Last edited: