• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot/NFO Career Timeline

Fre@kshow!!

Yes, I really was in the circus.
None
^All of the 1st shore tour overseas jobs I know about are career killers. While guys are going to the RAG/WTI/TRACOM, you're off fucking around in Australia or Germany not being ranked against your peers. The detailers in our community are pretty clear with guys who take those jobs about what it means for them. Also, I haven't seen many slackers go... usually it's a quality dude who just wants to go do something else. Because of that, it's one of those things that when you have your "So Billy, whaddya want to do next?" talk with your XO, that when you tell him that flying really isn't your bag anymore, and that you're looking for "adventure", if you're a good officer, he might recommend you hit the detailer up about those kinds of tours.

Then, a good XO will send a side email to the detailer and try to get that guy hooked up with something cool.

Something else awesome about some overseas tours is that you get a trip through DLA in Monterrey to learn whatever language you'll need to speak.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^All of the 1st shore tour overseas jobs I know about are career killers. While guys are going to the RAG/WTI/TRACOM, you're off fucking around in Australia or Germany not being ranked against your peers. The detailers in our community are pretty clear with guys who take those jobs about what it means for them. Also, I haven't seen many slackers go... usually it's a quality dude who just wants to go do something else. Because of that, it's one of those things that when you have your "So Billy, whaddya want to do next?" talk with your XO, that when you tell him that flying really isn't your bag anymore, and that you're looking for "adventure", if you're a good officer, he might recommend you hit the detailer up about those kinds of tours.

Not ALL overseas shore tours are career killers. I've know a few poeple that took an overseas FLAG AIDE tour (Singapore anyone?) and they did very well.

-ea6bflyr ;)

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Is it typical for tailhook types and helo guys to go to the boat as a shooter?

What other sorts of Dis. billets exist? It just doesnt seem like there are enough boats for everyone to be a shooter.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TACAIR guys don't typically do shooter tours. Some do, but it's not the norm. Dis-associated sea tours come in multiple flavors: ANAV, ASTK, TAO, AAIROPS, CVW Staff, and CSG Staff.

-ea6bflyr ;)

IRfly

None

Then, a good XO will send a side email to the detailer and try to get that guy hooked up with something cool.

Something else awesome about some overseas tours is that you get a trip through DLA in Monterrey to learn whatever language you'll need to speak.

Kacraven, keep in mind that this is all community specific and subject to change over time. That being said, the above does not apply to the MPRA community (P-3s). There are PEP (personnel exchange program) tours that are not very competitive, but good if you want to branch off into another community. But there are also staff jobs at our various CTFs that will keep you on the golden path and perhaps even give you a leg up in some instances ("hard fill" billets).

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
TACAIR guys don't typically do shooter tours. Some do, but it's not the norm. Dis-associated sea tours come in multiple flavors: ANAV, ASTK, TAO, AAIROPS, CVW Staff, and CSG Staff.

-ea6bflyr ;)

true, but let me help a bit: CVW staff, CSG staff, ANAV, AAIROPS, ASTK, TAO. My .02 on the order you would want to stack those options.

Fre@kshow!!

None
Not ALL overseas shore tours are career killers. I've know a few poeple that took an overseas FLAG AIDE tour (Singapore anyone?) and they did very well.

-ea6bflyr ;)
Yup, AIDE jobs are always players, but I don't know a whole lot of FIRST SHORE TOUR guys going AIDE... there are a few, but it's not typical. A former student of mine is actually headed to Singapore right now, and she's a rock-start and will do fine.

However, AIDE tours in our community are usually Disassociated. And when guys ask questions about "overseas" tours, they're usually not asking about AIDE jobs, it's usually PEP tours or some other exchange program, maybe on a large combined staff of some sort, ie, something that doesn't totally suck like most AIDE jobs do. Those are the ones that can be career limiting.

Fre@kshow!!

None
Exactly. P-3, TACAMO, and Helo guys fill a lot of shooter billets. It's recognized in those communities that you need to get to the ship to be competitive against their peers. There are usually some Hawkeye/COD guys as well. You will almost never see a Hornet/Prowler guy as a shooter. While I was a shooter on Nimitz for 2 years, we had 5xP-3, 2xEP-3, 3xE-2, 1xTACAMO, 4xHELO, 1xS-3.

If you have to go to the boat, the ANAV and Shooters usually compete at the top for rankings... TAO's are in there as well, but securing a #1 fitrep is usually a result of timing or being an absolute raging rockstar if you're a TAO. AStrike/AOps/AAirOPs are not easy jobs, but they don't compete as high as the ANAV, who has so many secondary duties it's absurd, and the Shooters who have 200 people working for them.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
true, but let me help a bit: CVW staff, CSG staff, ANAV, AAIROPS, ASTK, TAO. My .02 on the order you would want to stack those options.

Your list is apropos in the perfect world with a break out competitive squadron JO FITREP. If you didn't get a breakout, then you need to be in a LARGE competitive group and break out...mostly Carrier HARD jobs (ANAV, ASTK, Shooter). Any staff job is a small group. TAO for TACAIR guys will not get you noticed.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Ralph

It looks like you will finish up your DH tour at the 14-15 yr mark correct? Is the 2nd shore tour a flying tour or is it dependent on if you make rank?

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
It looks like you will finish up your DH tour at the 14-15 yr mark correct? Is the 2nd shore tour a flying tour or is it dependent on if you make rank?

Typically second shore tour is not a flying tour, BUT it all depends. If you stay on the career treadmill you can pretty much figure out your progression from any number of briefs/slides put out by the bureau. Coming here and asking these questions is a bit of a fool's errand because the experiences amongst the members is so varied. If you don't break out in the FITREP 500 during your first sea AND first shore tour then you things open wide up for you (but with many fewer flying options).

Final answer: it depends.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your second shore tour could be a flying tour, but most likely will not. Most post-DH's are trying to get selected for CDR and Command, so they take War College or take a Joint job as their shore tour.

If you do not get your ticket punched as a DH (as referenced above), then you could take about any set of orders due to your career being "off-track" at that point.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Thanks everyone.

Got this for $5 used off Amazon.
Is this book still accurate (as it was written in 1996) for someone beginning the NFO pipeline? I know several things have changed since then such as OCS moving to Newport and the decomissioning of several aircraft. Not sure what has changed with the pipeline itself since that time.

Renegade One

None
I've been trying to find more information as to the timeline of a career for a pilot/NFO Naval officer.

All I really know is that pilots have an 8 year service obligation from winging, and NFO's have a 6 year obligation. I also know that pilots tend to be winged 18-24 months after commissioning, and NFOs 12-18 months.[more…]

Thanks!
Honestly, I admire your curiosity, and the many thoughtful responses have been informative, but if you're thinking that far ahead in this business…you're doing it wrong.

Your profile page is no help at all, but if you "aspire" to do "this thing of ours"…bite it into much smaller chunks:
1. Get selected for an accession path...
2. Get commissioned...
3. Get winged (or whatever your eventual community requirements are…).

Anything beyond those three hurdles is just a waste of time in the here and now.

Disclaimer: I am NOT telling you to "STFU and color"…I am just saying that there are too many variables based on too many "branches and sequels" (some of which you will control…others not so much…) for you to be fretting about longer-term career opportunities/options/goods & others of same…you get the idea.