• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot ASTB scores for USMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrnavy

I understand the USMC needs pilots.
I took the ASTB and scored 5/5 and 49, above navy minimum, but was wondering if I could get a pilot slot with USMC.
IF any one could reply it would be apreciated!
Thanks.

utrico

Applying for OCS
Well if I remember correctly, I got a 8/7 and 62 and did not get a spot but it depends on a lot more than just that score.

pjxc415

pilot
i believe 4/6/4 was the minimum for the old test (found it in my rotc NAM), but does anyone know the new minimum? ... and also, can you get a point waiver? i just got a 4/5/5

FlyinHigh

the minimum is the same for the old test and the new test according to my OSO. as for the point waiver, i have no idea never heard of it and was never given to me as an option. You get three tries, just study hard and pass it. good luck

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Correct. The Mins haven't changed because of the new test (as of yet). 3/4/4 (Navy) and 4/6/6 (Marine Corps)
ea6bflyr

FlyinHigh said:
the minimum is the same for the old test and the new test according to my OSO. as for the point waiver, i have no idea never heard of it and was never given to me as an option. You get three tries, just study hard and pass it. good luck

airwinger

pilot
I'm pretty sure the minimum on the biographical inventory, the final number in the scores listed above was a 4. The biographical inventory was all those questions such as " do you speed/ do you like to be in control" etc.

Looking at my scores, there were
1.Academic Qualification Rating
2. a)Pilot flight officer Rating
b) Naval flight officer Aptitude Rating
3. a)Pilot Biographical Inventory
b) Naval Flight officer Biographical Inventory

The mins for pilot and NFO were the same, for pilot they used 1,2a,3a...and NFO was 1,2b,3b. The requirement was a 4 6 4.

I remember it vividly since my pilot scores were pretty good, but I got a 3 on the Naval officer biographical inventory. Seems I have issues relinquishing control :) I think I'm one of the few pilots who would not be allowed to transition to NFO if something happened.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Airwinger,
THey did away with the BI sections a few years ago. The scores listed are AQR/PFAR/FOFAR (4/6/6). The new ASTB tests do not have a bio section at all.
ea6bflyr

jacksonwt2g

Does anyone know about transitioning to usmc pilot from navy nfo? I am pre-api and my astb scores are good. PFT shouldn't be a problem either. Navy probably already has me in it's jaws, but I'd like to hear about alternatives.

EDIT: Not that I am not a happy, lucky man. Just curious if I could be happier and luckier.

harveyryanj

ea6bflyr is right on...

I took the ASTB on 22 July 2004, and scored the following:

1. The official test results are:
Academic Qualification Rating(AQR): 5
Pilot Flight Officer Rating (PFAR): 6
Naval Flight Officer Flight Aptitude Rating(FOFAR): 7
Officer Aptitude Rating (OAR): 44

Test Answer Sheet Serial Number: 01051204-500050
Form Number: 4
Test Administered by: Navy Recruiting District Jacksonville

The minimum for Marines is as follows:
AQR: 4
PFAR: 6
FOFAR: 6
OAR: 40

I was guaranteed 7599 after the test results (and additional required information like flight physical results, transcripts, etc.) were transmitted to MCRC(OA).

I hope this helps anyone who is considering Marine aviation. As you can see from my scores, you don't have to be perfect to get the guarantee, but it doesn't hurt to be! Semper Fi. :icon_mi_6

i took the ASTB 17 SEP 04, form 3.
AQR: 5
PFAR: 5
FOFAR: 5
OAR: 47

so, you're saying i have to take it again because i only got all 5s? is there any way to tell how you did on each individual section?

Crowbar

None
The Marine Corps used to allow a one-point deviation i.e. 3/6 or in your case 5/5. There was a document on the MCRC website that talked about it in great detail. I looked earlier to see if it was still there and what it said but parts of said website are not up as of late. All I really remember about it when it was there (about a year ago, when I was working on my guarantee) is that one point below the mins could be waived, as well as age could be waived, all based on the "whole Marine" concept. However, since then I've heard plenty of rumors flying about all that changing.
So, in summary, your scores used to be okay, but you may have to dig a little to find out if they still are.

Status
Not open for further replies.