• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pics of van in NAF Atsugi O' club pool

Fred

This may be futile but it’s a small Navy. I am desperately attempting to find pictures of the van driven by Craze Mace into the Atsugi O’ pool back in 1991 at the Welcome to Japan party for VF 21 and 154.

The Vigilante CO’s van had been purchased just that day by the CO of VF 154.

If anyone has a picture, knows someone who may have one, etc., please PM me.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
Would that be the same Craze Mace who works w/ me @ JFCOM and is retiring in two weeks?

How bad do you want the picture? I'm sure Crazette has a copy...

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Me thinks that he's gonna use it for the upcoming ceremony. Hopefully I can get my little Orange and White jet out there.

-ea6bflyr ;)

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
Would that be the same Craze Mace who works w/ me @ JFCOM and is retiring in two weeks?...

Yes it would. As you might imagine it was a spectacular party though our Japanese host didn't quite understand the event.

I'll dig through my stuff and see if I have a pic

FlyinRock

Must have been something in the water at Atsugi that caused so many weird things to happen like that. I made my first landing there in 1955 on the move from K-3 and we were banished to the far far far side away from the Navy. Had to build many of our own buildings with materials we "borrowed" from the Seabees.
So many stories of crazy schitt that happened there in the one year spent at NAS Atsugi with VMJ-1 (Marine Photo Squadron One) commanded by LtCol Marion Carl.

Fred

Would that be the same Craze Mace who works w/ me @ JFCOM and is retiring in two weeks?

How bad do you want the picture? I'm sure Crazette has a copy...

That would be the him, it's for a *surprise retirement gift. Crazette is copy-less. :) I know I’ve seen the pictures, I just can’t remember who had them.

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
Fred, looked last night and I'm sorry to say I don't have a copy. You might want to call Tuna, Oceana's skipper. He was there too and may be of some help. Please pass my best wishes to Craze and if you do get it post it up for all to enjoy:D

Fred

You wouldn't know how to get ahold of Jeep Stivers would you? Since it was his old van...I thought he may have a pic.

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
Unfortunately no but I sent a few emails out last night and will let you know if I get a bite.

Lobster

Yes it would. As you might imagine it was a spectacular party though our Japanese host didn't quite understand the event.

I'll dig through my stuff and see if I have a pic

Stalk, there is a picture of Craze in that yearbook from your last Midway cruise upstairs in the attic.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Crazette did end up getting a few copies, not sure of the source, for the retirement scrapbook. All in all, there were three pictures: One of the VAN in the water with the CO sitting in the driver's seat UNDERWATER, another of the post incident with MPs walking around and one of just the VAN. The pics were small. Craze did tell the VAN story at his party and how he escaped the limelight due to the NEW Tomcat squadron showing up and causing a bigger ruckus. Again, sometimes it's all LUCK and TIMING.

Man of the hour:

-ea6bflyr ;)

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
Happy it worked out. Craze is a great guy. He did invoke the First JOPA Law of Thermodynamics, "When the heat is on someone else, it's not on you". When VF-21 and VF-154 brought the first Tomcats to Atsugi and ran two off the runway, closing the base and causing the rest of the wing to divert, all while families and dignitaries watched, the van incident kind of drifted to the background.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Happy it worked out. Craze is a great guy. He did invoke the First JOPA Law of Thermodynamics, "When the heat is on someone else, it's not on you". When VF-21 and VF-154 brought the first Tomcats to Atsugi and ran two off the runway, closing the base and causing the rest of the wing to divert, all while families and dignitaries watched, the van incident kind of drifted to the background.
[Threadjack]
That's a great law. Are there others?
[/Threadjack]

-ea6bflyr ;)