• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pics from Iwo Jima

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
Got to make a stop recently in Iwo Jima. Toured the island for several hours--visiting the top of Mount Suribachi, the caves where the Japanese defenders hid out, and Invasion Beach. A precious opportunity to see one of the greatest battlefields of WWII. There are photos of the monument on the top of Mount Suribachi, the caves, Invasion Beach looking south, and Suribachi from the air. The wide photo is a full island view from the monument on top of Mount Suribachi. One reality not captured in the accounts of the battle that I've read is that the caves were sweltering hot since Iwo is still volcanically active. There is steam coming from various vents on the island and there are bubbling sulfurous mud pits present.

IMG_0134_1..JPGIMG_0133_1..JPGIMG_0097_1..JPGIMG_0088_1..JPGIMG_0087_1..JPGIMG_0170_1..JPGIMG_0009_1..JPGIwoJimaFullView_c&.jpg

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
Very nice. I hope to visit most of the Pacific battlefields some day.

Unless you're stationed in Japan, it's not likely you'll ever get to Iwo To. It's a very closely controlled environment by the Japanese. No civilians (unless you're a vet and there for a special occasion like the invasion memorial) and everyone else must have a good reason for being there. And even if you get on the island - a request must be sent for support to get a car to take you to the landmarks - otherwise you're stuck at the airfield. American flags can only be raised 4 times a year over Mt. Suribachi. And anything not written in an agreement is not usuall allowed. So it's tough...

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Got to spend the night on Iwo back in 2003 on a weather divert from the boat. No tour since we did not have time or a request in.

I will say that seeing that island was a beautiful site after flying a bingo profile for 350 nm. Took 3k of gas before we started the bingo and landed with 3k.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I've never had an "official" tour, but I've spent many hours exploring the island. It is an truly awe-inspiring experience.

Yankee Uniform Tango
Unless you're stationed in Japan, it's not likely you'll ever get to Iwo To. It's a very closely controlled environment by the Japanese. No civilians (unless you're a vet and there for a special occasion like the invasion memorial) and everyone else must have a good reason for being there. And even if you get on the island - a request must be sent for support to get a car to take you to the landmarks - otherwise you're stuck at the airfield. American flags can only be raised 4 times a year over Mt. Suribachi. And anything not written in an agreement is not usuall allowed. So it's tough...

Roger that, although there's a few civilian organizations through which you can get there also (not cheap):

http://www.stephenambrosetours.com/tours/pacific-over.html