• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pick Three

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airboss2B

When putting in your package for OCS, you are given three choices for designators (Aviation, SWO, Nuke, etc.). Is it wise to list three choices? If you REALLY want to be an aviator, but would accept another designator if you had to, should you only list Aviation and then re-aply for another designator if denied? Being active duty, I know that it is always the needs of the Navy. Here's what I'm asking. If I choose Aviation and SWO and the Navy is having a harder time filling SWO billets (it could happen), are they more likely to send me to SWO even though my first choice was Aviation? Anybody with any experience on this issue?

Edited by - Airboss2B on 09/02/2000 13:20:29

ASUPilot

Dude, if you want pilot, put pilot, and pilot only. Not to take anything away from any of the other occupations, but ONLY put down what you want. You can always re-apply for another track. Don't give the Navy any ideas about what you are willing to settle for. Not that settling for SWO or Supply Corps or anything is bad.

Edited by - asupilot on 09/02/2000 15:44:50

Eagle1

Airboss:

I had the same question while finalizing my OCS package. According to my recruiter (who was extremely honest and forthcoming during my application process): After its receipt and general processing in Tennessee, your package will be forwarded to the board which selects for your first choice (ie Aviation). The only way that you will be considered for the next choice is if the board from your first one does not pick you up. So essentially there is no way that you would be denied a pilot slot simply because you had SWO as your second choice and the Navy is hurting for SWO's at the moment.

Of course, this is all contingent on the assumption that the system operates as it was described to me. In April, my package went off with Pilot in the #1 spot, SWO in the #2, and nothing for #3. I got picked up for Pilot. So, in my personal experience, it seems that this is the way things work.

Best of luck.

Jeff

I had the same question last year when I filled out my application and I talked to a Hornet pilot about it. It turned out he had a good friend who had sat on the board a few years ago. His advice was that if you really want to be a pilot to only apply for pilot, atleast the first time anyways. He said normally it won't matter but if they get down to only having slots for a couple more guys and there a some comparible applications, then they will look and see if there was a second or third choice. If so they will slide you aside and pick up the guys remaining who only have pilot as a choice first and then send your app. to your next choice. This is how it was explained to me and it should be pretty accurate.

drybean97

I also had the same question for my recruiter. I was told that the Navy was hurting for SWO, Supply Corps, and Pilots.

Since I was in no particular hurry to just join the Navy, I was told to just put Pilot only. She said that if for some reason I don't get selected as a pilot we could talk about other options then.

Gig'Em,

Drybean

Status
Not open for further replies.