• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PIC name on DD-1801s

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
To add on, if ATC does tell you to call them once you land, don’t tell the guy on the other end your name. Recent situation where we got the radio call and the AC said he was ‘Maj Dummy’ instead of ‘Flathatter 69’ when he called them on the phone.

We didn’t do anything wrong, a tower controller thought we busted their airspace but GPS proved we didn’t. If we had, the AC just gave the FAA his name which might make it more difficult to hide.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To add on, if ATC does tell you to call them once you land, don’t tell the guy on the other end your name. Recent situation where we got the radio call and the AC said he was ‘Maj Dummy’ instead of ‘Flathatter 69’ when he called them on the phone.

We didn’t do anything wrong, a tower controller thought we busted their airspace but GPS proved we didn’t. If we had, the AC just gave the FAA his name which might make it more difficult to hide.
You also don't have to talk to anyone ( I think ), but absolutely not a controller, even the supervisor. I don't mean don't make the call, just dummy up. They have to make the case, don't help them. As stated, if they are serious they will follow up with a DOD LNO.

I got the request to make a call to LAX tower when out flying the big silver jet. I said I was the Captain of the flight in question, answered a couple questions, made a couple clarifiying remarks and then filed an ASAP. Union ASAP gate keeper called me a couple days later and said everything was cool, but next time keep my mouth shut. Even what little I said was too much for him. It is really not much different then dealing with law enforcement. Leave it to the relavent DOD LNO, squadron leadership, union, or the company. You will get your turn later under better conditions.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Assuming that you aren’t doing something criminal, it would be difficult for them to have the justification.

How can the FAA violate a guy with only a COM SEL cert?

How does the FAA violate a guy who was following a FAA produced handbook using FAA produced procedures to safely land off-airport on private party? I don't know, but they did.

Given that the entire system is set up to protect your identity as a DoD aviator, why take the risk?

Leave it to the relavent DOD LNO, squadron leadership, union, or the company.

That's great if it's an option, but there's plenty of us that fly for hire that don't operate in a company-controlled planning system. The FAA already has my name when I file, so when I had to give my name after an emergency landing, it wasn't like I could hide it.

I’m tempted to ask my FAA counterparts what they know about a situation like that.

I would definitely ask. I'd be curious to hear an answer given all the protections that are put in place.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's great if it's an option, but there's plenty of us that fly for hire that don't operate in a company-controlled planning system. The FAA already has my name when I file, so when I had to give my name after an emergency landing, it wasn't like I could hide it.
Declare an emergency and you are required to file a report IF ASKED. So, whether they can easily find your name or not, it can be argued you will have to give name and other info within the time frame specified in the regs (I forgot).

On the other hand, in the case of an emergency, you have the protections of 91.3. So none of this matters unless you take advantage of the emergency to do stupid things.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Declare an emergency and you are required to file a report IF ASKED. So, whether they can easily find your name or not, it can be argued you will have to give name and other info within the time frame specified in the regs (I forgot).

I secured an engine in-flight and then made an off-airport landing, so they were going to ask. What I did find interesting was after I gave my SOD call to Center, ATC wanted my name and contact info, but it was the FSDO that did the initial data call shortly thereafter (I think I was still in the field). In hindsight, that makes sense, but I was surprised I ended up telling the story twice at the time.

As an aside, where it got more bizarre (since there was no damage) was that the NTSB called me a couple of days later. At that point I didn't call them back and just punted it over to my company. Yes, I know they're not regulatory, but why talk to the government if you don't have to, which goes back to yours (and my) point(s).