• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Physics Requirement?

johns0630

I have seen a few references to the need for 2 semesters of calculus based physics in order to be qualified for OCS as an Information Warfare officer. Is this still correct and as a quant econ major without physics is there any chance of getting past this?

Thanks in advance.

Stick

pilot
I don't know about OCS, but was told the physics and calculus requirements were in place that way you could be sent for an interview with the admiral. You know, just in case the Navy wanted to make you a nuke. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but if you are not going for nuke I would think you could get a waiver. The Navy gives waivers for everything.:)

concept03

The official information that I received from my recruiter is that there are 3 educational qualifications (#3 is what you are interested in). This information is taken from the July 2007 program authorization form.

===============================
1) Baccalaureate Degree from an accredited university

2) No specific degree is required, however degree in computer science, mathematics, engineering, and foreign studies with a language emphasis are preferred.

3) Minimum requirements include an overall GPA of 2.2, one year of calculus with a "C" average and one year of calculus based physics with a "C" average.
===============================

I'm in a similar situation as you. I got a degree in Management Information Systems, which only required that I take Calculus 1. When I found out about these requirements, I enrolled in Calc 2 immediately. Then I took calc-based Physics 1 this summer. I'm now finishing up calc-based Physics 2 this fall. Don't let this requirement stop you. If you want to be an Information Warfare officer, then do everything you can to get there.

So, the short answer is, Yes, you need 2 semesters of both calculus and calculus-based Physics.

I've uploaded the actual official form that this came from.

Also, the Navy will only be taking 18 applicants (via OCS) for Information Warfare in 2009. You must be a competitive candidate in order to have a strong chance to be selected. I am not an IW officer (but I am trying to become one), but I can only imagine that if you don't meet this minimum requirement that it will be that much easier to reject your application.

Good Luck!

Regards

Attachments

• IW PA 101H.pdf
    113 KB · Views: 76

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
You might get a better response over at www.informationwarriors.net

It's just like airwarriors, but for the IW types. While a number of folks hang out at both sites, this site is IW specific...you will probably find a wider variety of accession experiences.

Spot

11.5 years and counting boat free
Also, look into the place you take the Physics and Calculus courses. A few guys I know of took the course at the community college (where it was a bit easier), and those credits counted towards their requirement.

concept03

I took Calc 2 and Physics 1 at a community college. I then enrolled in Physics 2 at a University and then applied for IW for the 2nd time and was pro-rec'd.

Where you take your courses is only part of it, not all of it. I also already had a 4-year degree from a university in Management Information Systems. I was only lacking Calc 2, and 1 year of physics.