• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Physical Fitness?

Andrew McCarthy

I am a 16 year old student looking at applying to Annapolis. The educational requirements are well within my grasp but not the physical requirements. I am 6' 1" and 140 lbs. If I going to attend Annapolis will I need to pass their fitness test day one or by a certain time? Right now I am only capable of completing the shuttle run and the 5:30 mile. Can somebody provide some insight into this?

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're referring to the Candidate Fitness Assessment (CFA). You need to have a passing score as a part of your application package. You don't take this test once you're a midshipman. Instead, you'll take the standard Navy Physical Readiness Test (PRT), which consists of max pushups in 2 minutes, max situps in 2 minutes, and a timed 1.5 mile run.

You can practice the CFA as many times as you want prior to submitting your scores to the Academy. If you're worried about not passing, I'd start training now, because the Admissions Board uses your scores to help them decide if you can handle the physical training at USNA.

I was 6'0"/145 lbs when I applied, and I was able to pass the test, so you shouldn't have any issues if you practice enough.

Reference this link for more in-depth info.

http://www.usna.edu/Admissions/cfainstructions.htm

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I am a 16 year old student looking at applying to Annapolis. The educational requirements are well within my grasp but not the physical requirements. I am 6' 1" and 140 lbs. If I going to attend Annapolis will I need to pass their fitness test day one or by a certain time? Right now I am only capable of completing the shuttle run and the 5:30 mile. Can somebody provide some insight into this?
First, it's awesome to see you working on it now. Don't forget the extracurricular a to round out your application.

As far as the PT goes: the only way to get better is to do more. I was your size in high school (actually was 5' 11" and wrestled 103 my soph year) and all it takes is hard work, proper diet, and dedication.

Take your end goals to a coach, FB, wrestling, or even basketball. Ask him to help you develop a plan, then execute that plan.
Good luck,
Pickle

Andrew McCarthy

First, it's awesome to see you working on it now. Don't forget the extracurricular a to round out your application.

As far as the PT goes: the only way to get better is to do more. I was your size in high school (actually was 5' 11" and wrestled 103 my soph year) and all it takes is hard work, proper diet, and dedication.

Take your end goals to a coach, FB, wrestling, or even basketball. Ask him to help you develop a plan, then execute that plan.
Good luck,
Pickle
Thank you for your steadfast reply, I appreciate it. I assure you that my extracurriculars are even more impressive than my grades. We shall ssee come my junior year.

Andrew McCarthy

You're referring to the Candidate Fitness Assessment (CFA). You need to have a passing score as a part of your application package. You don't take this test once you're a midshipman. Instead, you'll take the standard Navy Physical Readiness Test (PRT), which consists of max pushups in 2 minutes, max situps in 2 minutes, and a timed 1.5 mile run.

You can practice the CFA as many times as you want prior to submitting your scores to the Academy. If you're worried about not passing, I'd start training now, because the Admissions Board uses your scores to help them decide if you can handle the physical training at USNA.

I was 6'0"/145 lbs when I applied, and I was able to pass the test, so you shouldn't have any issues if you practice enough.

Reference this link for more in-depth info.

http://www.usna.edu/Admissions/cfainstructions.htm
Thank you for clarifying that. I will be sure to strive for those requirements.

samguitar

Flying a desk.
pilot
Right now I am only capable of completing the shuttle run and the 5:30 mile. Can somebody provide some insight into this?

I think you may be misinterpreting the test. The numbers listed in the table on the website are the maximum scores, and you get an aggregated score based on your numbers in all the events. I didn't see minimums for passing, although I think when I did it in the 90's you had to be able to do at least 2 pullups.

To give yourself a better shot at USNA, I might recommend improving on either your attention to detail (read the instructions) or your communication skills.