• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Phrogs Phorever

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
As it stands right now, we are supposed to case our colors as an HMM somewhere around 1 Oct 2016 (latest date I heard from the incoming reserve CO). As it stands, we are going to do the last flight - and I am eligible to retire either 22 May 2016, or if the date of the last flight is before that - as soon as I amass 50 points after 23 May 2015. The Reserve & AD CO, XO, and OpsO know what my plan/desire is, and so far they've all agreed to give me the top cover required. If all works out as hoped/planned - I'll be doing the last flight of the CH-46E and retiring the same day she does. I'm not a left-handed Jewish black female lesbian HAC, but retiring the same day as the aircraft you've flown your whole career is pretty noteworthy for publicity. As the incoming CO said "the HAC's got to be current and have a NATOPS check under his belt. All the old guys that come out of the woodwork and try to push you out of the flight won't have that."

Sad to say, but our AD CO rocked a dual-engine overtorque on this bird and she has since been sold for scrap. Very sad pictures of that process.

(a) Very cool - hope it works out.

(b) How did he do that?

phrogpilot73

(a) Very cool - hope it works out.
The cynic in me looks at the flight schedule from 164 that had the final flight for the last CH-46E crewchief students (mission: "Operation Last Starfighter") and can't help but notice the number of O-5's and O-6's on the schedule as 2Ps. I'm not going to count my chickens before they hatch...

(b) How did he do that?
Didn't do a power check before taking off out of an LZ when he was full of pax and heavy. Instead of aborting the takeoff, he kept going. There's other stuff about the whole incident that irks most of us in the squadron, but that's not for public consumption.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The cynic in me looks at the flight schedule from 164 that had the final flight for the last CH-46E crewchief students (mission: "Operation Last Starfighter") and can't help but notice the number of O-5's and O-6's on the schedule as 2Ps. I'm not going to count my chickens before they hatch...

Remember that you can do most anything on your LAST flight.... :D

-ea6bflyr ;)

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
I'll be doing the last flight of the CH-46E and retiring the same day she does. I'm not a left-handed Jewish black female lesbian HAC, but retiring the same day as the aircraft you've flown your whole career is pretty noteworthy for publicity.

Sincerely hope that it works out for you - what a cool opportunity.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
The only thing certain about the Phrog's last flight is that it'll be late. Most likely to the wrong zone, but that's only likely.

jmcquate

Contributor
My first ride in a rotary winged aircraft ride was in a Phrog from HMX-1 at PLC Jr out of Camp Upsher. She will always have a soft spot in my heart.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
My first ride in a rotary winged aircraft ride was in a Phrog from HMX-1 at PLC Jr out of Camp Upsher. She will always have a soft spot in my heart.

You got me thinking that my first rotary flight was in a Phrog as well - not sure of the squadron but it was a Navy Phrog and it flew us from the anchored out TR to FLL for an air wing offload.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You got me thinking that my first rotary flight was in a Phrog as well - not sure of the squadron but it was a Navy Phrog and it flew us from the anchored out TR to FLL for an air wing offload.
Same here. My flight was in Aug 1984 on an HC-11 Phrog from the USS Sacramento to the USS Enterprise. Geez I'm old.

-ea6bflyr ;)