• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Phrogs Phorever

phrogpilot73

Interesting that DOD finally acknowledged that this incident was a combat loss and not a mechanical failure. Personally, I'd like to beat the sh!thead bureaucrat who held this up. These folks lost their lives in combat and not because of a poorly maintained aircraft.

Great NPR story on Jennifer Harris (The HAC on this aircraft apparently). Looks like she was an amazing woman and leader. I thought the story was thoughtfully done, even for NPR.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7407239
Agree that it's BS that it was held up for so long, especially considering the ridiculously high availability rates of Phrogs in Iraq. Again, it was gut wrenching to watch the insurgents video.

I know Jen Harris very well, she was in Iraq the same time as I was (with HMM-364, I was with HMM-264) and she was well known as a good stick. Some buddies also know her from her days at the Naval Academy. We lost a truly great American that night. The worst part about it is that she had 10 days left in country...

Another good article about Jen: http://www.townonline.com/swampscott/homepage/8998938167205691391

Found another good article about it: http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=335930&Category=17. My favorite line in the article is: "Marines take the best and brightest to fly the CH-46E Sea Knights." Had to send that off to everyone I know...

East

东部
Contributor
Condolances

Condolances to the whole nation, from Europe.
Farewell Purple Foxes...

Attachments

• hmm364c0me.gif
    hmm364c0me.gif
    54.9 KB · Views: 22

Want2flyNow

I said over-easy!!!!!!
I love the Navy

I live near west point and Stewart AFB. Theres always Phrogs,Chinooks w/e and C-5s going over(got a vid of a low chinook-thought it was gonna hit my house). Anyway, wondering if any of you helo dudes have flown into Stewart.

I love the navy

P.S. I'll now pull the 2X4 out of my Ass and take some pills. Wish me luck getting along with people older than than I that have the job I want.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The V-22 runs roughshod over the 46!

In all seriousness, the after-actions from 263's OIF deployment have been very good.

Autorotate

FAC, former Phrog pilot
LOL.

As one who sees the tasking given to the Osprey's here, and their MC (mission capable) status every day, I take exception to phrogdriver's statements. They are clearly here as only a test, and are nowhere near as utilized or maintainable as the 46's. Because such numbers are sensitive, I will *guess* and say that they fly about half as much as an identically sized Phrog squadron, but with more maintainers and spare parts. But that's just a guess, of course...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
You take exception to my statement that the after-actions have been good. That's not what their group CO said in a formal brief, contrary to the official OOMA readiness numbers, as well as the tally of people and gear carried. Also contrary to the official press releases, to boot.

I didn't fall off the turnip truck on the way to the flightline. I've been flying my entire Marine Corps career since I finished API, flying the -46 for 4 years and the V-22 for nearly 4 (the rest as a helo IP). The phrog doesn't even touch the V-22 in capability. As I've posted before, I don't write the checks, so I can't say whether the dollars vs. capability was worth the V-22 as opposed to a H-101, S-92, or whatever, but I can say that the phrog was and is on its deathbed. The reliability and maintainability piece is still an issue, but there is also a logistics chain issue which will help that as it matures. Keep the parts coming, and the V-22s WILL keep turning. Truth.