• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PFTing for first time

O'Pry

Hey all, I am applying for PLC this summer. I have never done a PFT before, but I am getting ready to do so. I guess the deadline for all your paperwork is in April, if i'm not mistaken, but I have a few questions.

I am from Georgia, so not real used to cold weather and wind. I am going to college up here in Chicago. My OSO wants me to get my paperwork and PFT done ASAP, but I am just now in the middle of recovering from a stress fracture in my foot. My Doc said i'm good to go dec 7 but my question is, am I going to be totally screwed to PFT outside, in december in chicago, after not being able to run for 6 weeks? my crunches and arm hang are 100% but running I have always had issues with. On my down time i've been biking and swimming, but it's just not the same as running. I'm afraid i'm going to make a fool out of myself, having not run in 6 weeks and running in damn cold weather since I know I have to do it outside.

If the last boards are in April, when is the last possible time I can PFT and still get my crap in? Everything else is good to go (grades, recs, paperwork etc) except this, and the only thing my OSO says is "we should do it right after the 7th)

What do you all think I should do? Tell him i'm going to wait a few more months or just suck it up, and get less of a score?

NickPollock19

Prospective Candidate for OCS
Take a PFT as soon as you are able to, your OSO wont just take your 1st PFT, take one, see where you are at, then work from there. You don't just get 1 shot at a PFT from your OSO, my OSO offered a PFT every weekend, so take one, see where you are at, work from there, if you pass it great you can get your application in earlier and have a better chance of getting selected

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
THe way i understand it is that the PLC slots fill up first come first served. Your OSO probably wants you to just get a score to see where you're at and possibly submit it, and if not then to give you time for a better PFT score. But either way I suppose its good to get it in as soon as possible, unless yo uthink that running on it will hurt it more.

ShaggyGT

this is something that im wondering about too. is it better to just PASS (say 230ish) the pft and get it in early, or to wait a little longer (say 1 month before deadline) and get a higher score, say 260+ range?

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
this is something that im wondering about too. is it better to just PASS (say 230ish) the pft and get it in early, or to wait a little longer (say 1 month before deadline) and get a higher score, say 260+ range?
Ask your OSO. I contracted with a 241 and was accepted. HOWEVER, that is all time and place. Your OSO will know much more about what's going on with the boards and what will get you accepted into the program. Don't be afraid to ask your OSO's any question you have. They'll typically help you in anyway they can.

spec05v

Waiting...
I think you can submit the app with one score and update it with a better score. I submitted my application for 190 and was asked to do another PFT two days before the board met. The first PFT was done about 2 months prior to the board. I was told that it is better to submit a recent score.

livefast

KO'Pry: I used to have the same problem. I actully fractured my tibia and couldn't run for a few months. My OSO told me not to worry about my PFT and to just get better. So I missed PLC last summer. My best advice for you is to invest about $130 for a decent pair of running shoes (Asics Gel Kayano X were my saving grace) and to get into some kind of an organized running regiment when you are better. I enrolled in a 10-k & Marathon training class at my college (1 credit hour) and started working out with the NROTC on campus and the results have been dramatic. I also recommend focusing on 1) swimming, 2) exersize on a stairmaster, 3) biking (i.e. non-impact cardio). You may also look into getting a training partner--someone faster than you, and preferably a hot female, although that's a personal choice. Hehe. Best luck.