• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PFT running distances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vivddreams

I am just beginning as a runner, and ran my first mile since my junior year of high school last night at the gym. I am now a junior in college, and I would like to be running outdoors, rather than on the treadmill. How do you approximate or measure how far you have run when running outdoors? Thanks!

Patrick Daly

Speak to the people at your local gym, they often have routes with specific mileages that you can run. If not, just estimate it based on time depending on how fast you think you're going (7 or 8 minutes for every one mile). Definitely get outside though, I think treadmills can be demoralizing and boring.

Pat

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
Your school should have a quarter mile track somewhere in it's possesion. Run on that and time yourself. That way when you run off the track you can approximate both by time and by feel how far you've gone. Treadmills suck...every 3 miles on there is only worth one outside.

DBLang

PLC Candidate
I find it much harder to run on a treadmill. Running seems like a mental game to me, and treadmills just kill.

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
Of course there's always someone who disagrees...lol...I don't mind the treadmill because I've never been a great runner...Running on the treadmill has helped me establish my pace. Also, having a readout of how much further I have in a set workout/interval helps me to leg out runs more. Outside its easier for me to slip into a comfortable pace vs. pushing myself. And as far as 3 = 1... I ran just under 21:00 the last time I tried 3 miles on the treadmill...On my PFT yesterday I ran a 20:25, Almost a minute better than my last time...Honestly I would mix up running inside and on a treadmill...I would run distance and hills outside, but run speed and interval on the treadmill. Of course it varies for everyone.

riley

I drive a course in my Jeep and measure the odometer - checking waypoints along the way - i.e. the brick sign is 1/2 mile into the run, etc. I do this at several places, setting up different courses for myself - 3 mile, 4 mile, and 7 mile. I make sure that hills are included to vary the run and make it more difficult.

Also, it helps me to run with a buddy. If there is one thing I hate to do, it is to leave a nice warm bed to go run at 0 dark 30 in the freezing cold. If you have a running buddy there are at least two certified morons instead of just one - also you find that you push each other farther and faster than if you were just on your own - it is much easier to give up if no one is there to see you. If you don't have anyone inclined to run, check with your recruiter/OSO to see if there is another candidate in your area to run with.

Sins

When I started running I went by time, not distance.

I would leave the house, run away for 20 minutes then turn around. Simple as that.

Then I found a trail with a clear turnaround point where I could go down and back. I timed myself. My first round trip was about 38 minutes. This was about a year ago. I started trying to improve on my time and sometimes tried to run the second half faster than the first. Down and back, down and back.

wildflyin69

i hate running by time. It's a mental thing for me, my brain knows that 20 minutes is 20 minutes no matter how fast I go. it was easier for me to just assign a distance and do that distance, knowing that the faster I went the sooner it would be over. but I guess it's just because I absolutely hate running. But we don't always get to do everything we like.....

Sins

If you hate running by time, you'll really hate these two schedules:

bgeninner 5K http://www.nike.com/nikerunning/pdf/beginners_5k.pdf
advanced 5K http://www.nike.com/nikerunning/pdf/advanced_5k.pdf

There are no track workouts or assigned distances in either workout, both go strictly by the clock and effort.
Compare that to other training guides ( http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-51-55-638,00.html?site=RunnersWorld ) where up to 60% of the runs are measured.

I'll start Nike's advanced 5K next week.

IMO, I think time is better for for really, really bad runners to get started. I know when I started, time was the way to go for me b/c that's how I "learned" to run(pacing, proper form, etc.).

For the PFT, running distances are probably better since for 18 yr olds, you're essentially trying to run 7.5 min mile over a mile and a half...which isn't exactly an easy going pace.

Raptor2216

Well, if all else fails, you can always purchase a pedometer. I bought one a while back but I didn't want to set it up so I returned it and ran on a marked trail insted.

wildflyin69

I have to admit that the treadmill is good for me to learn what a certain pace feels like, however...but I still don't like the treadmills and you can't make me!!!...lol

CLAM97to99

I run on a treadmill a lot. It is harder than running outside because you have to concentrate on staying centered. One problem I ran into was that I started running outside for a few months and when I started on the tread mill I got real bad shin splints. The personal trainer at my university gym said it was probably because I was use to running outside. So that is one thing to be careful of. I would recommend either running outside or on the treadmill all the time.

Gonzodogg

I disagree. I would not limit yourself like that. Don't think that just because you normally run outside, you can't hop on a treadmill when the weather sucks. If shin splints become a problem, you need to rest a little and stretch a lot.

I really hate them, but when set on an incline, treadmills can be used really effectivly to gain speed. Don't write them off completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.