• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PFT and OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwm522

I thought I was in good shape but i basically can do the minimum amount to even qualify for air. I am going to work out like hell, but with those scores and being strong mentally, can I physically get through the 10 weeks of OCS

usanavypilot

What are you scores? I haven't gone to OCS yet but it seems from all the talk on here that you will have a much better chance of making it through if you are in the best shape of your life.

Crowbar

None
What do you mean "qualify for air"? You either have the scores to get accepted for OCS or you don't. I didn't know there was a difference. OCS requires a minimum of 1st class PFT for everybody (even old farts like me who qualify for the senior citizens' discount).

Regardless, if you are 'barely qualified', then OCS will mess you up. At the latest MOI conference, word was passed that if you don't run sub-21 minute 3 miles, do >15 pullups, and about 100 crunches, you probably won't make it through OCS. Sounds tough for some people, but at least it's a goal to work for.

stevew

Crowbar, from what I hear getting into OCS is so competitive now that if your PFT is at those standards your chances of getting accepted are pretty slim.

NickPollock19

Prospective Candidate for OCS
stevew, getting into OCS is not that competitve if you sign during the summer. The OSO's are told by their superiors , that anyone that signs during summer and goes to OCS the following summer, if they meet the 225 PFT, and the required test scores, then they are guaranteed in. (according to my OSO)

Crowbar

None
NickPollock19 said:
stevew, getting into OCS is not that competitve if you sign during the summer. The OSO's are told by their superiors , that anyone that signs during summer and goes to OCS the following summer, if they meet the 225 PFT, and the required test scores, then they are guaranteed in. (according to my OSO)

Wow. I have a hard time believing anybody is "guaranteed in". I bet there are lots of people just on this board who were closer to 300 than 225 who can't get into OCS and have been trying for a while.

F18Navig8tor

I recently completed OCS as company honor graduate. A good PFT score to go to Quantico with is about 250 +. While you are there your run time will improve, but you will more than likely lose some of your pullups. Since they are your real money maker on a PFT you want to be able to get 15+ definately. One thing to remember though, the PFT is only a small portion of the PT. A lot of the PT involves boots and utes, so be sure you can handle running with a little weight added on.

afrogurl

Hey guys I am new to all this and I take the ASTB March 11... What infor do I need to know about the PFT what are the standards for women??? or where can I find that infor... do I have to do pull ups???

stevew

I found a nifty little pft calculator for my palm pilot PM me and I can send it to you (if I can still find it). If not then I'll either have to bluetooth it or IR it. LOL :icon_lol:

OCPLCSr.05

Listen to F18navig8tor, he knows what he is tlaking about. As far as PT goes, I went to jrs. last year with a 270 PFT and it went down by the last inventory PFT, you'll get beat pretty good physically from doing all of the courses in Quantico, so go in there as hard as you can. As far as the comment posted about getting into the program and having it be eay, thats a load of crap, this is a USMC program we are talking about, they arent the army, it's selective as hell, thats why people wash out. So if you DO get accepted and go to jrs. or 10 week, you should be proud as hell, it's an accomplishment. Just keep at your PFT, if your scores go up gradually before the board meets, they will take that seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.