• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Personal Stuff at OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
The various accounts of OCS to be found in and around this website are pretty good, but they leave me with a pretty good question:

How much and what kind of personal stuff is allowed at OCS? The accounts of OCS I've read haven't been clear on just how candidates can use the space available to them.

What are the lockers like? What can (and can't) be put in them?

Is there any other place a person can store stuff? What can (or must) be kept there?

What helpful items can be brought (other than the "official" list in the spiral book provided by my recruter? (are electric shavers OK, for example?) Speaking of that spiral book, what is a plain "navy-type" blanket and where can one be obtained?

I've heard vague references to having two of some items (running shoes, for example). One of these will be for display, the other for use. What should a person consider bringing two of?

My goal here is to make sure I have what I need, no more and no less. I don't want to waste time and money on stuff that will get confiscated, and I don't want to be without anything necessary either.

Any and all suggestions are welcome...I'm heading for OCS in just over a month and want to be prepared...
-A

Ummm...yeah

emart69

What about pictures too? I was wondering if I could bring pictures of my wife and kids with me and have never got a definite answer on that either. Also can family send you pictures. I've got a 3 month old and 2 1/2 year old and they will be changing a lot in the time I am at OCS. It would be nice to have pictures to keep me updated.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
just graduated from ocs may 9th.. maybe i can be of assistance:

-A Navy type blanket is any blanket you can fold into your "lucky bag" - bag you bring with you. They are technically "contraband" anyways and so you will have to store it in your locker during the day when you're not sleeping. This along with your small flashlight are contraband but they will not discipline you for having them if they find it in a health inspection.

- A flashlight which you can attach to your head is most useful. the brighter the better but remember... AA only.

- I used an electric razor and never got in trouble. I find it helps by giving you 5 extra minutes to sleep every day.

- Cell phones, PDA's, laptops etc. are definitely not allowed.

- Absolutely no medicine, pills, herbal supplements, even vitamins! They can roll or attrite you if they find it. Also, no candy... though after 4th week i've seen people bring some in.. i guess as long as you're careful about it. my class lost liberty because one of our guys had a peanut butter sandwich in his locker... you don't want to be that guy.

- don't bring anything you don't want damaged.. There is a phenomenon at OCS called "hurricanes." This is when a DI will go through and check all your lockers and if one is unsecured they will throw everything in it around the room/hallway. Even if you think your lock is secured it might not be if they pull on it hard enough. Here's a hint... DO NOT KEEP ANY LIQUIDS OR POWDERS IN THE TOP GARAGE COMPARTMENT!

-The only civilian clothes you should bring are the ones you're wearing on your back when you check in and the ones you plan to wear when you check out 3 months later.

- Finally, I would keep your personal affects to a bare minimum... if you have a car you can store them in there and noone will ever go through it unless you have drugs and then the drug sniffing dogs will definitely find them.

Hope this helps.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
pictures are allowed... just tape 'em to the inside of your wall locker... as for receiving mail.. avoid receiving suspicious/bulky packages or girly letters with flowers or pooh bears on them for the first 4 weeks. You'll understand why when you get there.

solenita72

SWO Wife
I sent pictures with my husband. He got a folding accordian file and put all of his personal papers (birth certificates, orders, ect) and his writing paper and envelopes in it. He had a front section that was clear that I stuck several pictures in. He never had anything said to him. As for mailing pictures, I just used our digital camera or scanned the pics in and printed them out on regular paper. That way the envelopes didn't look suspicious. Several times his mail was opened, but the DI's just thought it was letters, so they didn't go through them page by page.

case

Lewisinhk,

What's with you and hats? Haven't you asked that question before or was it somebody else? The answer is NO.

case

Sunglasses only on liberty. Kept mine in my car and only used them when I was driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.