• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Personal Statement

ebue

I am applying to STA-21 again this year for the Nurse Corps option. Everyone has something to chime in about what my personal statement should say. The problem is, half say that I need to write why I want to be a nurse. The other half say I should just say why I want to be an officer. It is getting confusing. Anyone have any advice that I could go on once and for all?

torpedo0126

can't you combine it into why you want to be a Nurse in the Navy? Just so you know, as a a Nurse, you will be closer on the side of an administrator than 100% nursing all the time. Corpsman will take care of many things you see a Nurse doing in a hospital. So there will be lots of potential for leadership on your part.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
The STA-21 website has some pretty good info on what the board wants to see as far as a personal statement. My statement outlined my background in aviation maintenance and operations and explained how that would make me an effective aviation officer. Remember, STA-21 is designed to make Naval Officers, not just Nurses, so it is important to also explain why you think you would be able to serve the Navy in any capacity, not just as a Nurse.

1) Ask yourself why you want to be an officer...

2) Ask yourself why you want to be a Nurse...

3) Decide what you would do if you accomplish 1 but not 2...

4) Write it down and have your wardroom check it out for errors and "board worthiness"...

5) Rinse and repeat :icon_tong

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
First off, when I did my personal statement, everyone who saw it thought I should change something. I took some advice and used it, others I ignored. Just remember it's your statement! I would include both. They want you to include why you want to be a Naval Officer as well as what your goal is in STA-21. In mine I harped a lot on that it was my dream to become a Naval Aviator since I was in High School. My advice (take it or leave it) write it as though you will get picked up (ex. "when I am picked up for STA-21", not "if I am picked up for STA-21"), make sure you say why you want to be an officer, and what your goal is in STA-21, also if you have anything negative in your package (bad high school GPA for me) make sure you address it in your statement and how the situation has been corrected. Good luck, and if you have any question you can PM me.

SkywardET

Contrarian
The instruction provides guidance on the personal statement:

OPNAVINST 1420.1a said:
A personally composed and signed one-page typed
statement presenting reasons for desiring STA-21 participation
and the applicant’s professional/vocational intentions in a
specific designator of the URL of the U.S. Navy. Comprehension
of and motivation for a selected designator(s) of the URL are of
significance to the selection board. (Exceptions: STA-21 CEC
Option, STA-21 Supply Corps Option, STA-21 Special Duty Officer
(Intelligence, Cryptology), and STA-21 Nurse Corps Option
applicants should address specific desires for their selected
target group option.) Include name, rate/rank, and SSN on the
statement. Ensure the statement is signed and dated.
So make sure your personal statement addresses the following:
[] Your professional intentions
[] Your vocational intentions
[] Your specific desire for Nurse Corps Option

My 20th draft or so finally got around to addressing those (replace Nurse Corps with Pilot). I put slightly more emphasis on becoming an Officer vice a Naval Aviator. Not sure if that would be prudent with Nurse Corps seekers, but regardless of which has more emphasis, make sure you address both!

If I had to guess, however, I would say that academics plays a larger role in the selection of Medical/Nurse Corps options than even your personal statement. They even let nukes become Nurses, so that says something about the higherarchy of needs!

anghockey

Fleens? You're not Fleens!
ebue, PM me with your first draft if you want. I think everyone has so far given you a good idea of what guidelines to follow.