• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Personal Statement format question

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
I will probably answer my own question while I'm posting the facts... but here we go anyway:

OPNAV says this:
OPNAVINST 1420.1A said:
Include name, rate/rank, and SSN on the statement. Ensure the statement is signed and dated.

Website application page says this:
OPNAVINST 1420.1A is currently under revision. Please use the information provided on the website until 1420.1B is issued.

And this:
Typed, signed, and dated Personal Statement.

And the format example says this:
your full name, SSN, and signature above your name

So from all that, I gather that the signature block should not have Rate/Rank and should look something like this:

Signature
First Middle Last
XXX-XX-XXXX

Does the date go on the bottom of the signature block or on the top right of the page like in the cover letter?

Thanks for your help.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
I had it all in the bottom right corner and had small margins and small font so I could fit a lot and keep it at one page.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
While it is good that you are paying that level of attention to detail, I don't think a board is not going to accept you for not putting your rank on your personal statement.

FWIW, I always include my rank when I sign a military related document. Better to have too much than too little.

You can ask ADMIN for a copy of the correspondence manual and see if it is any help.

Good Luck

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Here is the STA-21 website.
https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/format.html

STA-21 PERSONAL STATEMENT

Format - plain bond paper; 10 or 12 pitch; on the top of the page center “Personal Statement”; paragraphs blocked or indented; keep it at one page; four lines below the last line of typing, add your full name, SSN, and signature above your name.

A personally composed statement presenting reasons for desiring STA-21 participation and the applicant’s professional/vocational intentions in a specific designator of the URL of the U.S. Navy. Comprehension of and motivation for a selected designator(s) of the URL are of significance to the selection board. (Exceptions: STA-21 CEC Option, STA-21 Supply Corps Option, STA-21 Special Duty Officer (Intelligence, Information Warfare, SWO/IP, SWO/OCEANO, and SWO/ED), Human Resources, STA-21 Medical and Nurse Corps Option applicants should address specific desires for their selected target group option.)

Keep in mind, next to CO’s Endorsement/recommendation, your personal statement is the most important document.

SkywardET

Contrarian
The website holds more heft than 1420.1A, so follow the website. There is a standard way to sign correspondence, and you're just asked to add your social.

If anything, as wlawr005 suggests, get access to the correspondence manual and go over it. I would recommend that you DO NOT rely on Admin personnel as your only source for information on correspondence, and you should definately crack the correspondence manual open and learn for yourself all you can, as it will help with the rest of the package too.

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
I couldn't agree more, I know I went as closely by the correspondence manual as I could, as did many people I met at NSI. My suggestion is go by the correspondence manual, just ensure that somewhere you include all required information, worked for me.

The website holds more heft than 1420.1A, so follow the website. There is a standard way to sign correspondence, and you're just asked to add your social.

If anything, as wlawr005 suggests, get access to the correspondence manual and go over it. I would recommend that you DO NOT rely on Admin personnel as your only source for information on correspondence, and you should definately crack the correspondence manual open and learn for yourself all you can, as it will help with the rest of the package too.

advantix00

also for other parts of your application use the website and not the opnav inst. such as the interview appraisal sheets. website says navcruit 1131/5 where the instr. says navcruit 1100/13. use the 1131/5. i called the # for sta-21 and the gentleman who i talked to said use whatever forms are on the website. he said that you could actually use either but stick to the sites forms not the instr. So i would do whatever the site indicates. thats what i did.