• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Personal Question About Personality Disorder Waiver

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Ladies, Gentlemen, and fine members of the Navy Medical Community,

I just got back from MEPS today and was disqualified due to concerns over my potentially having a personality disorder even though there was no conclusive evidence pointing to this conclusion. I was wondering if there was anybody on the board who was familiar with the waiver process for this kind of thing as my recruiter (as awesome as he is) and the Navy liason folks at the MEPS station didn't quite know how to handle my case. If there is someone, I would really appreciate it if they could converse via PM with me and provide some guidance. Thank you all in advance.

Below are the guidelines for personality disorders according to NAMI:
NAMI said:
14.9 PERSONALITY DISORDERS

AEROMEDICAL CONCERNS:
Maladaptive personality traits may lead to flight safety problems. Aeronautical adaptability involves a person's coping mechanisms, personality style, and defense mechanisms. These may impact on the member’s ability to undergo training, safety in aviation environments, and the ability to interact in a harmonious way with other crew members. Certain personality traits may produce thrill seeking behavior, conflicts with authority, emotional lability, questionable judgment and poor impulse control, or inflexibility incompatible with the rigors of aviation duty.

WAIVER:
Personality disorders result in the member being found to be NAA. Maladaptive traits which impact on aeronautical performance also result in the member being found to be NAA. Once an individual is found NAA, it is unlikely that they will be found AA at a later date. Therefore, no waivers can be considered for aeronautical adaptability. If, however, the patient demonstrates over a period of 2-3 years a substantial personality maturation in terms of their ability to sustain the stressors of the aviation environment, work in harmony with other members, and stabilize their personal life and turmoil, they may then be considered for reevaluation by a Psychiatrist or Psychologist. This evaluation shall preferably be done at NAMI Psychiatry provided both the patient and his/her command have a strong desire to return to flight status. Questions regarding the aeronautical adaptation of designated aviation personnel should be referred to NAMI Psychiatry by telephone consultation. Designated pilots and NFOs should be referred to NAMI Psychiatry for evaluation.

INFORMATION REQUIRED:
1. Psychiatric evaluation (must also clarify suitability for general and special duty)

TREATMENT:
Treatment of personality disorders requires long term intensive psychotherapy, which is incompatible with aviation duty.

DISCUSSION:
The diagnosis is largely based on the history of pervasive behaviors or traits that are characteristic of the person's recent and long term functioning (since early adulthood) which cause social or occupational impairment or subjective distress. Psychometric testing such as the MMPI may be abnormal in Class 2 personnel, but is frequently normal in SG I and SG II personnel. The stress of military life frequently exacerbates maladaptive behavior and the diagnosis becomes apparent in the operational environment.

ICD-9 CODES:
301.0 Paranoid PD
301.20 Schizoid PD
301.22 Schizotypal PD
301.83 Borderline PD
301.81 Narcissistic PD
301.50 Histrionic PD
301.60 Dependent PD
301.7 Antisocial PD
301.82 Avoidant PD
301.40 Obsessive Compulsive PD
301.9 Personality Disorder NOS

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
Good luck man, I know you've been working hard for this.

I had to write something extra for my medical qualification because I failed the depth perception a while back and had to send the medical board some documents that showed I was A-OK on that. Not really the same thing, however, it's important make sure you make the best case possible and use a cover letter that explains the situation and enclosed information in the most simple terms.

I don't know what the Doc will say, but definitely compile all the information you have with a letter explaining it and send it to your recruiter to forward to the board. In my case, they needed it the same day my recruiter called me about it.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Isn't this ALL of us in the Naval Aviation community? Hardly seems like a disqualifier.

Best of luck to you. I hope that feddoc is right.

Judging by t*e many fine combat Fig*ter Pllots I *ave interacted & flown wit* over t*e years, *aving "Personality Disorder" noted in your package would be a + for a "pointy nose" aspirent! :tiger_125
BzB :sleep_125

IRfly

None
You're not supposed to develop the personality disorder until AFTER the department head screen board and/or you pin on O-4.......

In all seriousness, I hope things work out for you.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
True personality disorders, vice quirks, really do hamper your social interactions with others and your ability to deal with stress. Stress never decreases once you're commissioned, and like the waiver guide says, operational demands tend to make things worse. For instance, you may have dealt with some, ahem, "interesting" women in your dating life that sort of match Borderline Personality Disorder - but the real BPD cases literally cannot stay in relationships, cause ridiculous amounts of stress and drama to those that are in their lives, and in general don't function properly in social situations. Think uber-manipulative, backstabby, reckless behavior.

Personality disorders also put you at a much greater risk of becoming a "failing aviator" assuming you do make it to the fleet, which is why a waiver probably wouldn't be granted. That being said, you still have to be diagnosed as such by a psychiatrist - and they aren't going to do that lightly.

gflyer

Geriatric entertainer extraordinaire
You should have 3 or 4 of the above and your next wife will have the rest!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
In all seriousness, a waiver probably isn't in the cards if you are actually diagnosed as having a disorder. It definitely isn't happening if treatment requires drugs.

If this is a result of some high school troublemaking or some such BS being written up by an overzealous guidance counselor and reflecting on you now, then I hope you can convince the docs that you're good-to-go.

If you actually have a personality disorder, then you shouldn't get a waiver. This business throws some otherwise centered people out-of-bounds. If you're starting on by the sidelines already, you shouldn't be flying.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
True 'dat. That's when otherwise good people start succumbing to the soul-crushing power of The Man.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
PM sent; I think this is doable.

So says the only one with any experience in this matter!!! Yet as proof of maladaptive personality and social traits of concern to NAMI, posters in this thread with no other qualification but gold wings are pontificating.

AllAmerican was evaluated at MEPS, not NAMI , not by a flight surgeon. There is a HUGH difference. I suspect that is what informs the Doc's opinion that something can be done. Unless you know what was in the Doc's PM or have seen the MEPs report, STFU on the psycho evaluations and NAMI waiver process. How do you like it when some wannabe comes on AW and tells you that helos are for losers that couldn't hack flight school or insist that P-3s drop bombs because it has a "bomb bay"?

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
Ladies, Gentlemen, and fine members of the Navy Medical Community,

I just got back from MEPS today and was disqualified due to concerns over my potentially having a personality disorder even though there was no conclusive evidence pointing to this conclusion. I was wondering if there was anybody on the board who was familiar with the waiver process for this kind of thing as my recruiter (as awesome as he is) and the Navy liason folks at the MEPS station didn't quite know how to handle my case. If there is someone, I would really appreciate it if they could converse via PM with me and provide some guidance. Thank you all in advance.

Below are the guidelines for personality disorders according to NAMI:

Wouldn't it also depend on what kind of PD?

ICD-9 CODES:
301.0 Paranoid PD
301.20 Schizoid PD
301.22 Schizotypal PD
301.83 Borderline PD
301.81 Narcissistic PD
301.50 Histrionic PD
301.60 Dependent PD
301.7 Antisocial PD
301.82 Avoidant PD
301.40 Obsessive Compulsive PD
301.9 Personality Disorder NOS

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
AllAmerican, as I've said before here I had to get waivers for depression from when I was younger. It's a giant pain in the ass (and they still ask me to this day about it on my flight physicals!), but as doc said, definitely doable. Get some second opinions from psychiatrists attesting to your good mental health and prognosis that it will stay that way.