• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Personal Information Hacked

Gitr

All - I just wanted to make sure that what happened to me did not happen to others. This morning, my facebook account was hacked by a "419" style scam. Someone was able to chat with facebook contacts and claim that I was stranded in London and needed money.

Thankfully, I had no contact information other than an email address linked to a different password, so no other personal information was compromised.

The Lesson Learned: Do not publish your personal information, to include address, cell-phone, personal website, or full DOB on any public access website. This is actually DOD policy.

m26

Contributor
All - I just wanted to make sure that what happened to me did not happen to others. This morning, my facebook account was hacked by a "419" style scam. Someone was able to chat with facebook contacts and claim that I was stranded in London and needed money.

Did they pose as a friend of yours, or hack your account and pose as you? Or was it something else?

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
I think my "professionalism" class is in order........that is not a knock on you Gitr.

I've taught the same class over and over how facebook/myspace are stupid and will only get you in trouble. And having stupid email addresses like airforceretard101 and byteme3684 are not a good idea.

End rant....

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It seems that most of my former and current squadrons (including both front offices) are on Facebook. Does anyone foresee a problem by having an account like this private? I know not to openly disclose much information... do the settings actually matter?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Well, I finally deleted the old MySpace account...and cut out a bunch of info on the Facebook...now as long as the Chinese can't figure out who I really am on AW I should be Okay.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
It seems that most of my former and current squadrons (including both front offices) are on Facebook. Does anyone foresee a problem by having an account like this private? I know not to openly disclose much information... do the settings actually matter?

I keep mine set so only my "friends" can see my info. There isn't much to see except a quick bio and an e-mail. I screen my friends pretty well. Of course that doesn't prevent a hacker from China from looking at my pics..all five of them. I mainly use FB to network and keep up with old friends. I make a point not to say/post stuff that could come back and get me. I guess I better stop that here as well:)

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
My buddy said that when he was screening for the SEALs Dev group, the screeners grabbed all the applicants' Myspace and Facebook info for those that had accounts. They were all asked specific questions about their bio, blogs, and stupid drinking pictures. Every detail was covered to the point of embarrassment. The only secure information is in your head. Sometimes even that isn't enough.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Facebook is a great way to stay in contact with other Navy people. It's hard to keep track of people once they go to different ships, squadrons, etc. I think it is nice to know when people wing and what squadron they got.

All you old people are haters.

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
Facebook is a great way to stay in contact with other Navy people. It's hard to keep track of people once they go to different ships, squadrons, etc. I think it is nice to know when people wing and what squadron they got.

All you old people are haters.

I'm not here to cast the first stone, since each of my OCS PLT's has a facebook group. It has been the next best tool for gouge other than AW. It is, however, still an OPSEC risk and I admit that sometimes I think I'm just messaging my friend even though others can access the info.

After my buddy told me about what the SEALs do, I changed all my info and now I use an abstract form of communication:

"Did you catch any (big) fish on your last trip North(South)?"
-Did you get any confirmed kills in Afghan/Iraq?

"I was singling out the duzer from that bug"
-Everyone got sick and I was pissing out my ass.

Just to name a few...

Gitr

m26 - They posed as me, having hacked my account.

Agreed that facebook is convenient for networking, but it is just a good idea to limit what information is published. And an even better idea to have strong passwords.

As for using it in general, or it being stupid - there are several 4-stars with their own pages. Take that as you will and for what it's worth.

spinspilot

If I delete my facebook completely, is there a way for a third party to still find my pages or pics by searching or other means?