• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Percentage of post deployment divorces?

pivo

One the statements in another thread made me curious, what is percentage of post deployment divorces that you have seen? More Pilot's/NFO's or crewmen?

Renegade One

None
One the statements in another thread made me curious, what is percentage of post deployment divorces that you have seen? More Pilot's/NFO's or crewmen?
Pilots: 3.28275%
NFOs: 2.14787%
Crewmen: 1.98456%

That help? These statistics are updated weekly…all you have to do is ask me weekly. No charge. [Disclaimer: You only really get what you pay for.]

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
What R1 is getting at is there is no percentage and to even hazard a guess would be silly.

Both parties enter a marriage contract with the best of intentions. If both parties do not fully grasp what they are up against with constant deployments, absences, stress, money, temptations, and a thousand other complicated parts of military life, it soon becomes apparent if they are equipped to handle it or not.

Some couples do great. The spouse left behind is typically able to be independent and have a life that doesn't revolve around their deployed spouse.

Some do not fare well. They are ill equipped to handle it.

Your spouse will be put through an incredible test when you are gone. If they are the type that kisses you goodbye and gets on with things, they will be just fine.

My wife had a harder time adjusting at first, but she found friends and hobbies outside the military that have kept her sane for multiple and frequent absences, some short and some long.

Renegade One

None
...there is no percentage and to even hazard a guess would be silly...
You said it far better than I.

...what is percentage of post deployment divorces that you have seen?

For the OP: Why the question? Yeah…it's tough, but I'm not really sure it's any tougher than for police officers, firemen, commercial airline pilots, doctors, commercial fishermen/mariners…a thousand other careers where long working hours, time away from home, stress, [fill in the blank] and myriad "other things" come in to play.

I think e6bflyer really said it best: The good marriages can get even better (like…WAAY better), the weak ones may not do as well. Choose wisely.

azguy

None
First, consider that the national, "average Joe" divorce rate is already very high, lots of marriages just don't work, Navy or not.

A few anecdotal observations after a few years in the fleet... Spouses who are more independent fare better when left alone, which puts less strain on the marriage. Also, the spouse should really, truly understand what they are getting into before you get married (I wouldn't marry my wife until we had been through a full deployment).

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
all I know is you better let your wife pin your wings OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
The better question is, what % would get divorces if the spouse knew everything that happened on deployment?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or if the deployed spouse knew everything that happened back home. There are two sides to that ugly coin.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Years ago I remember reading a study that said divorce rates skyrocket three years after the deployed spouse returns from a year long separation from the family. The weird thing was that I read about that study and my parents told me they were splitting up the next week, and it was 3 years after my dad got back from a year in Saudi. The study was done during the Cold War, and military life wasn't quite the same back then so I'm not sure if things have gotten better or worse empirically speaking.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or if the deployed spouse knew everything that happened back home. There are two sides of that ugly coin.
I'd say this is probably more of an issue than the other way around, especially with the young enlisted, newly married.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
What is this "underway" you speak of?

It sounds a lot like being on a ship, not making per diem.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If they are the type that kisses you goodbye and gets on with things, they will be just fine.

You mean like Jody?

What is this "underway" you speak of?

It sounds a lot like being on a ship, not making per diem.

As I would often ask Webmaster as we "grew up" together in the fleet: Why not just go ahead and put on some lead wings and get it over with.

Smilies and stuff.