• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Per diem tax question

Kathy

Reservist Wife
Contributor
From military.com:

The government will pay you an allowance which equals 95 percent of what it would cost it to move you. If your total moving expenses are above that figure, you have to pay the difference yourself. In addition, any extra money you keep from the allowance will be taxable income, so you will need to get a W-2 form for the government when you do your tax returns.

We have always received separate W-2s (via the mail) for partial DITY moves. I'm having a hell of a time tracking down the one for this year. My husband is deployed and we have no idea where the thing was sent.

NavyWife2001

Kathy said:
From military.com:

The government will pay you an allowance which equals 95 percent of what it would cost it to move you. If your total moving expenses are above that figure, you have to pay the difference yourself. In addition, any extra money you keep from the allowance will be taxable income, so you will need to get a W-2 form for the government when you do your tax returns.

We have always received separate W-2s (via the mail) for partial DITY moves. I'm having a hell of a time tracking down the one for this year. My husband is deployed and we have no idea where the thing was sent.

That is it then! We must have barely gone over the alloted amount. That is why the amount is so small. LOL!
Thanks for the info!

NavyWife2001

Try calling maybe PSD where he is stationed. They will probably be able to direct you. Oh, and we just got ours the other day, so maybe yours is on the way this week too!

Kathy

Reservist Wife
Contributor
NavyWife2001 said:
Try calling maybe PSD where he is stationed. They will probably be able to direct you. Oh, and we just got ours the other day, so maybe yours is on the way this week too!

Been there, done that.

I first called the 1-800 number I found online regarding W-2s. They told me I would have to take my Power of Attorney to a local Red Cross facility and have them call and request a duplicate. I'll do this, but it's a last resort considering I work full time and the location is nowhere near me.

Then I called PSD in Whidbey. They couldn't even give me a phone number to call. They told me to look for a 1-800 number on MyPay.

So I then called the 1-800 number on MyPay. They gave me a fax number to fax a request to. I faxed it yesterday morning and haven't heard anything yet.

In the meantime, I've also asked my husband to call the original 1-800 number but with the time difference/lack of phones where he is, I don't know when/if he'll be able to deal with it.

flynsail

pilot
Bookmark this site! You will find a link for W-2 on there; that should be what you are looking for. The pay comes from Norfolk(HHG), not Cleveland (DFAS). Therefore, it will not be in myPay... just my $0.02.

*EDIT*

Another helpful website for moving. You can even calculate how much you will get for a partial DITY move.

Kathy

Reservist Wife
Contributor
flynsail said:
Bookmark this site!

You are awesome! Why couldn't anyone at other of these other places tell me this?? I just called and was given all of the information I needed (what addresses the W-2s were sent to, move month, etc.). I've already requested the duplicates on-line. Thank you so much!!!