• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

people who are already in the service

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldahla

hey-
i was just wondering if a number of the people who apply for OCS have already served in the military...like are a lot of these people applying for OCS have service years behind them? just curious as to how common it is for people to apply for SNA or SNFO if they already have military service. (or don't the people who have already served have to go through OCS??) someone please comment.

by some of the comments on this page--this is the impression i'm getting is that people apply for SNA or SNFO after serving already a few years.

apendle

It is very common for people with prior service to apply for OCS. I for one am one. I once read a statitistic that the average OCS class is made up of about 30% prior service. So it is common, but definitely not a criteria for applying.

ldahla

so people who have prior service have to apply for SNA or SNFO the civilian way?? that seems kind of weird to me, but that's what i figured...

Fredster809

If you are currentl;y actve you apply for OCs the Active duty way. Three officer interviews and a CO's endorsement, also including all of your Evals. If you are prior service, no longer on active duty, you apply the civilian way. I also believe enlisted applications go to a different office then civilian ones.

ldahla

so do people who are currently active have priority over regular civilians when it comes to applying for SNA/SNFO slots available for the year?? i know NROTC and academy applicants tend to have priority over civilians, so i was just wondering if it works the same way for people who are currently active??

apendle

I believe they have spots alloted for active duty personnel to fill OCS slots, and a seperate pool for those who are applying as a civilian. When you as a civilian apply for OCS you are competing for a billet with other civilians, and the active duty are competing with their peers. So it really is a matter of two different playing fields, This is the situation I have come to understand, but I could be wrong. Perhaps someone else can shed more light on it on this forum.

ldahla

what about the 14 SNA slots/month i'm hearing about...is that for EVERYONE (ALL SNA SLOTS) or just civilians? because thats a lot of slots for just civilians... anyone know?

ldahla

how come nobody ever answers this question when it's asked?? does anyone know even a little bit about the slots?

dk2fenton

Originally posted by apendle
I believe they have spots alloted for active duty personnel to fill OCS slots, and a seperate pool for those who are applying as a civilian. When you as a civilian apply for OCS you are competing for a billet with other civilians, and the active duty are competing with their peers. So it really is a matter of two different playing fields, This is the situation I have come to understand, but I could be wrong. Perhaps someone else can shed more light on it on this forum.

dk2fenton

Originally posted by ldahla
how come nobody ever answers this question when it's asked?? does anyone know even a little bit about the slots?
Active duty and civilians compete in the same pool for the same billets. Active members just fill out a different application and have to submit it through their chain of command. All the OCS applications come to the same place and are sent to the same boards.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
Idahla,
Ther reason you aren't getting aspecific answer to your question is because it's the same question everyone wants answered. If you look around this site, you'll see endless posting dedicated to speculation about the number of slots available for SNA/SNFO and other communities. Some recruiters apparently get info through the grapevine, but that is always suspect. The number accepted each month varies based on decisions made a lot higher up than the recruiters. I also agree with dk2fenton. I think everyone is considered together for OCS slots once the applications are complete. Talk to your Officer Programs recruiter. They can look at your scores and give you a rough idea if you're competitive. If you really want to be a Naval Officer, apply SNA but have a back up in another community.

P.S. IF there are actually 14 SNA slots per month, I suspect that is for all sources.

LT G.

dk2fenton

Originally posted by Penguin
Idahla,
Ther reason you aren't getting aspecific answer to your question is because it's the same question everyone wants answered. If you look around this site, you'll see endless posting dedicated to speculation about the number of slots available for SNA/SNFO and other communities. Some recruiters apparently get info through the grapevine, but that is always suspect. The number accepted each month varies based on decisions made a lot higher up than the recruiters. I also agree with dk2fenton. I think everyone is considered together for OCS slots once the applications are complete. Talk to your Officer Programs recruiter. They can look at your scores and give you a rough idea if you're competitive. If you really want to be a Naval Officer, apply SNA but have a back up in another community.

P.S. IF there are actually 14 SNA slots per month, I suspect that is for all sources.

LT G.
LT G is correct, the numbers come from a lot higher. The goaling number is set by the Commander, Navy Operations. They then select so many for each OCS class. That way if there is attrition at OCS they can still refill those billets. You also have to acount for the BDCP's that are graduating but got selected 2 or three years ago. They will be already put in class slots. Then you have the CNO changing goals due to the needs of the Navy. I don't see how anyone can give an definite number.

Status
Not open for further replies.