• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC Pentagon Tour

SpankenStein

When you're here, your Family.
pilot
Can anyone tell me anything about doing a gig at the Pentagon? The good and the bad from a Marine's perspective? I've heard some bad stories. On the plus side, I think Potomac Mills has a Bahama Breeze.

1812TC

Traffic! other than that, walk left stand right on escalators. No cover, no salute in the courtyard. Pretty relaxed environment, typically, even for Marines, customs and courtesies are a tad looser because everyone is expected to be "busy". If its just you and a senior office walking past each other then I would give the greeting. But when the halls and corridors are filled with bodies you don't need to rah every superior. Just stars and birds that make eye contact and are not in active conversation. Anything else just DM me.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Traffic! other than that, walk left stand right on escalators. No cover, no salute in the courtyard. Pretty relaxed environment, typically, even for Marines, customs and courtesies are a tad looser because everyone is expected to be "busy". If its just you and a senior office walking past each other then I would give the greeting. But when the halls and corridors are filled with bodies you don't need to rah every superior. Just stars and birds that make eye contact and are not in active conversation. Anything else just DM me.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can’t speak to Marines in particular but I think for any service, your pain or pleasure depends 100% on your billet and boss. Even more so than most tours. Myself, I enjoyed my tour there as an AO on OPNAV. Immediate boss was a GS15 and pretty sensible and laid back. Didn’t care when we came in or left as long as the work got done. Worked in a TSCIF so we were generally left alone by the rest of the division. Very few “this should’ve been an email” meetings. And the work itself was interesting.

Your mileage will definitely vary, but my point is that there’s no way for anyone to say whether a stint at the Pentagon will be good, bad, or indifferent. If you have a contact or friend of a friend who’s assigned at the billet you’re considering, pick their brains.

I will say that seeing how the sausage gets made in Arlington is for the better, professionally.