• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pentagon To Retire USS Truman Early, Shrinking Carrier Fleet To 10

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m pretty sure ships came under air attack in Vietnam, but I don’t know offhand if anyone was KIA.

Only one was successful, no casualties resulted because the turret that was destroyed had been evacuated minutes earlier due to hang fire. Lucky gunners.

Lots of air to air kills by the enemy since then. Aircrew are servicemembers. I’d say the last time was 1991.

I didn't read that paper's specific verbiage and it is incorrect, the correct verbiage was used in the article referring specifically to ground forces.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Lots of air to air kills by the enemy since then. Aircrew are servicemembers. I’d say the last time was 1991.
The ra-ra slide did specifically say “ground” so I imagine it is correct. Still, the slide highlights some remarkable “thinking.”

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I’m drunk, but I certainly don’t see that.
I’m not drunk, just stupid. The actual line is...1953, the last time an enemy aircraft killed a US serviceman.
I’m not sure if the aircraft part is accurate.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m not drunk, just stupid. The actual line is...1953, the last time an enemy aircraft killed a US serviceman.
One imagines that it was properly vetted it before making it their premiere talking point.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

One imagines that it was properly vetted it before making it their premiere talking point.

The ground forces killed by enemy air attack detail is right for what I know, the verbiage in that particular ra-ra slide left the ground part off and is wrong as a result.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The ground forces killed by enemy air attack detail is right for what I know, the verbiage in that particular ra-ra slide left the ground part off and is wrong as a result.
Did that occur during Vietnam?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
In any case you have to admire the AF in sucking the oxygen in the room from their sister services...It reminds me of Gulf War 1/ODS where AF welcomed journalists and news media and provided video tape media that could be immediately digested and broadcast - where as Navy was generally hostile towards reporters and lacked the capability to easily share mission video to embedded journalists.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In any case you have to admire the AF in sucking the oxygen in the room from their sister services...It reminds me of Gulf War 1/ODS where AF welcomed journalists and news media and provided video tape media that could be immediately digested and broadcast - where as Navy was generally hostile towards reporters and lacked the capability to easily share mission video to embedded journalists.
You presume the other services were left out based upon what?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
All said there were a total a 269 American and enemy aircraft shot down in air-to-air combat over Vietnam during the entire war—201 in fights between the U.S. Air Force and North Vietnamese air force and 68 in the U.S. Navy’s air battles with the North Vietnamese. In those fights, the U.S. Air Force lost 64 aircraft and the Navy lost 12.