• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pentagon cuts aircraft carrier presence in the Gulf due to budget

Well, myself along with 5,000 other people were supposed to leave Friday. All I can say is WOW.

"Under the plan, the deployment of the USS Harry S. Truman -- which was scheduled to leave Friday from Norfolk, Va. -- has been cancelled."
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-presence-in-persian-gulf-to-1-due-to-budget/

Seems pretty unheard of. I sure know submarine deployments don't get cancelled for lack of funding lol. Nobody cares about paying 130 dudes to tool around the Pacific for 6 months.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Seems pretty unheard of. I sure know submarine deployments don't get cancelled for lack of funding lol. Nobody cares about paying 130 dudes to tool around the Pacific for 6 months.

Sub funding is virtually guaranteed relative to surface.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sub funding is virtually guaranteed relative to surface.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. This is going to be the new normal and there are going to be significant impacts, regardless of platform. I don't know the answer to this, but I suspect the sub(s) that were to deploy with the CSG probably aren't going to head out on their own, so in a sense, this cancellation for HST does affect the sub community.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. This is going to be the new normal and there are going to be significant impacts, regardless of platform. I don't know the answer to this, but I suspect the sub(s) that were to deploy with the CSG probably aren't going to head out on their own, so in a sense, this cancellation for HST does affect the sub community.

I wouldn't be so sure of this, granted subs accompany carrier battle groups. However, they also still serve as first strike platforms while doing so. In fact my first deployment was a lone operation off the coast of "Canada".

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wouldn't be so sure of this, granted subs accompany carrier battle groups. However, they also still serve as first strike platforms while doing so. In fact my first deployment was a lone operation of the coast of "Canada".
HST will be on the hook to surge. My bet is that those subs will also be on the hook to surge, and thus will stick around.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
I love how WAVY-10 broke this story before any of the aircrew in CVW-3 knew about it. I texted my buddies and they hadn't yet heard through official channels.

I love how WAVY-10 broke this story before any of the aircrew in CVW-3 knew about. I texted my buddies and they hadn't yet heard through official channels.

A little more substantial hearing something from your CO vs hearing it from Fox News, not really the kind of info you'ld disseminate to your crew before being 110% positive.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, myself along with 5,000 other people were supposed to leave Friday. All I can say is WOW.
Wow indeed, I've been on 3 deployments that were extended, but never even heard of a deployment being canceled. Would like to see this being a WAKEUP CALL to the Congress... silly me - compromise is a lost art!:(
BzB