• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pensacola: Wings of Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimphil

I had insomnia one night and happened on this show at 0600 EST called "Pensacola: Wings of Gold". It was quite bad, but since the premise revolves around Marine Corps aviators in training, I couldn't resist. Anyone else ever see (or even hear) of this show?

I'm convinced that this show is left wing conspiracy theory to spread disinformation about naval aviation. Look at the facts:

1) the show is wildly inaccurate. It's set in Florida, yet there are mountains and deserts in every scene.

2) All the Marines need a haircut. Especially the pretty-boy blonde guy.

3) It stars Mr. Barbra Streisand (AKA James Brolin). Barbra Streisand is the right hand to the devil himself (AKA Bill Clinton).
propeller_125.gif

There's a review of this show written by some mysterious person know only as "Travis" on imdb.com.

I'm a Florida native folks. I live in Panama City, and go to school in Pensacola. Trust me everybody. This show is called Pensacola in name only. It has absolutely zero to do with the filming location. Here are some of the problems I have with this show. First, when the F/A-18s take off, you immediately see the mountains and mesas of the Southwest. Secondly, the only F/A-18s even stationed at NAS Pensacola are the ones belonging to the Blue Angels. NAS Pensacola is a training base, which flies training aircraft, such as the T-34 Mentor, and the T-45 Goshawk. Those would make for some REALLY great combat scenes (and if you failed to note the sarcasm in that sentence, you may actually still believe that this show was really real.) Lastly, NAS Pensacola will never be commanded by a Marine. Marines work FOR the Navy, never ABOVE them. This show was nothing more than a lame attempt at another lame flying movie, Top Gun, and by doing so, looks more like Baywatch in a fighter jet. Do not waste your time with this one folks.

I never knew that the USMC worked for the navy. I always thought they were an independent branch of the military. I guess you learn something new every day.
propeller_125.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mongol General: ...Conan, what is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
Mongol General: That is good.

NuSnake

USMC is a dept of the Navy if I'm not mistaken, but I have friends that are Marines and if you ever tell them they are in the Navy get ready for an ass whoopin hahaha.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
--Edmund Burke

tali264

Originally posted by kimphil
I'm convinced that this show is left wing conspiracy theory to spread disinformation about naval aviation. Look at the facts:
ummmmmmmm......you do realize this is a television show and not a documentary, right!! OK....nuff explaining on that one.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That show has been around for awhile, I remember making fun of it back during college, probably in reruns, seeing the time you watched it at.

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
I think that show does all their filming with VMFAT-101 in Miramar. The film crew was on my ship once when we were on work-ups. Those guys suck.

Rainman

pilot
Like this deserves a retort. . .but. .. . I especially liked what happened in Afghanistan when a Marine General was in charge of all the boats in the theater . . ..ooooooooh that pissed some squids off. Luckily there is no such structure that makes the marines below the Navy. .(it does work out the way a lot--what can you do?). .As if it needs to be said the Commandant and the CNO both work for SECNAV

woo hoo

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Well,
I completely believe that this show is all true. My life in the Corps completely personifies the events that happen on this show based on pure fact. Pensacola, JAG and the movie TOP GUN are exactly the way it is in the service and should not be criticized and or scrutinized in any way. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMCR

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
yeah I saw the show also one VERY late night...I couldnt even make it through the first 15 minutes, it was so bad.

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
Originally posted by Frumby
Well,
I completely believe that this show is all true. My life in the Corps completely personifies the events that happen on this show based on pure fact. Pensacola, JAG and the movie TOP GUN are exactly the way it is in the service and should not be criticized and or scrutinized in any way. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMCR
LMFAO...
thumbup_125.gif
thumbup_125.gif

Another goof: Brown sand the consistency of kitty litter. Pcola has (mostly) powder white sand.

An elite group of Girl Scouts armed with wiffle bats has just been deployed to France. Unconditional surrender is expected within 24 hours.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
I remember seeing this once show a real long time ago. I think my GPA dropped immediately after.

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

jaerose

I'm just so surprised that I won't get to have pilot buddies that fight all the time...and I'm especially upset that I won't have the opportunity to become good friends with a member of the Italian Mafia =(

JR

jrklr

I knew top gun was in nevada now, but f-35's in 2010? I heard they mainly train with hornets now, and probably superhornets once they replace the tomcat. but I heard the hornet wont be replaced by the JSF completely until about 10 years after they initially come in.

Rainman

pilot
Frumbly--good stuff. . . Don't forget tali's perennial favorite A Few Good Men.

jrklr. Yeah the VSTOL JSF is slated to be the first aircraft IN VX23 and the first aircraft out right around 2010 timeframe. Operational testing to begin in 2005. There's some decent info on their website

Yeah. .F14 to F18E/F
F18A/B/C/D to F35

"oh Harold. Somebody hasn't been playing well with others"

Status
Not open for further replies.